1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Making new raised bed

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Paul Blackburn, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    As I had some spare space in my allotment I decided to make a new raised bed.I decided to empty one of my compost bins into it.It only took half of the contents.But when I was tidying up around the bin I noticed a rat coming out of the bin.If there has been a rat(S) in the bin is it safe to use that compost or should I dispose of it.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I wouldn't worry about it, I suspect most compost heaps get Rats as visitors, but worth wearing gloves when working the compost (weeding etc.) for a while until any pathogens (if there are any ...) have died off.

By the time any crops are harvested the risk will have gone.

But ... I never put on the compost heap anything that carnivore animals have excrete ... Dog Poo for example. That is likely to carry pathogens that might transfer to crops. No such worry for ornamental beds, but of course not very nice to come across that when weeding ... so worth keeping that sort of stuff "somewhere else".

And Holly leaves. hate coming across them when weeding. So they, and anything prickly, never go into Compost Bin, and my Holly Hedges are planted nowhere near where I have flower beds :)