1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mango and Papaya

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sal73, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Never tried a Papaya @pete how old is that one.? Spider mite is a blumming pain I know.! :sad: What do you use to combat them.? Greenhouse or conservatory.?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,991
    I grew that one from seed last year @Marley Farley , it nearly died on me last winter.
    The RSM was going at it all winter, I got some stuff from a farmer mate, its called Envidor, but its not 100%, they use it on apple trees, so not so sure how effective it is under glass, but it is a mite killer.

I grew a really good papaya back in 2003, but we had a hot summer that year and it grew well outside.

• Like Like x 2
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      Ooh I shall maybe try to get one going. I used to see them growing in Jamaica looked just like yours only a bit taller.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,233
        I have a very strong memory of a much taller mango tree...

The first morning on our honeymoon, I heard a strange noise outside our open bedroom window in St Lucia. One of the resort gardeners had chosen to climb the mango tree nearby, “to pick fruit”. A rather odd thing to do, we found out later, as the mangoes were normally harvested from the ground; and it just happened to be within sight of the honeymoon apartments....:scratch::heehee::whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
          Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
        • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,681
          How brilliant @Sian in Belgium , well done! :dbgrtmb:

One mango seed often produces several stems so I wouldn't tear them apart to plant in individual pots, especially in August. Just let them be together.

Probably the biggest challenge is to keep them alive through the winter and that means finding the right spot. A bright windowsill with no radiator underneath might be the best bet. I can't really advise as my mangos tend to die on me at young age. :redface: Oh, maybe just one note, lightly misting with water every morning seems to be appreciated, and it possibly helps to keep spider mites at bay.

Please keep us posted on your learnings :)

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Cinnamon

Cinnamon Super Gardener

NHS
            Ratings:
            +893
            Your mango will toughen up. The very young leaves are that colour and will turn green soon enough. Usually farmers in the tropics grow grafted material so that they fruit quickly, otherwise it will take a mango perhaps 7 years from seed to fruit. I grew them from seed as a kid, but they are tropical so don't like English winter low light intensity and cold. So more of a curiosity than a crop!

• Like Like x 1
            • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +9,233
              Update on my mango plant(s)

2F97406F-F46A-4202-AE08-B88FA2A2028D.jpeg
              As you can see (apart from my eclectic litter of “stuff” on the work surface), the leaves have indeed toughened up. Leffe bottle included for scale.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Like Like x 1