1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Many white spots on evergreen?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Above_, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Above_

Above_ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi lovely folks,

I've been lurking around for a while but finally I have a question where I didn't find an answer yet.

I have a potted evergreen that I've been trying to keep alive for a few years now. It's not going great, but I'm still trying. For months now, there are these white spots on the branches and the trunk, looks like mold. A week ago it got new needles, but the white stuff overtook those too and now they're not growing anymore.

Here's how it looks now. Hope you can help!

needles1.jpeg needles2.jpeg

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,269
    Welcome to the forums.

Your pics show conifers.
    Unlike evergreens they do not have leaves as you maybe think of leaves.
    They are not like other plants that grow all the time.
    Each year in spring they will grow a little...then nothing more until next spring.
    They often produces a resin which is white and can be sticky...this is what you are seeing as white mould.

I cannot be positive but I think you are worrying when there is no need.
    Please add pics to show the whole tree.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I'm pretty sure that is a Fir, ie. Abies tree of some kind.
    I'm thinking we might be looking at aphid damage from last year which stopped the needles forming on the new growth.
    I had a Korean fir a few years ago which was pretty much killed by aphids, or at the very least made to look so bad I cut it down.

Check for aphids on the new growth this year for the next 2-3 months and if you see masses of them on the new growth spray them with an insecticide.

4. Above_

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the quick reply. Here are 2 more of the full tree and the trunk. The tree looks pretty bad, sorry about that.

Extra info, but not necessary to answer your question: I got it about 3 years ago around Christmas (maybe a bad choice as I've heard how badly some of these trees are potted); it was green and full of needles; it was going strong for 1 year, then slowly started to lose its needles and its branches to point downwards. Still kept growing though, its maybe 10-15 inches taller now. I repotted it once in a bigger pot.

also, I’m not in the uk, so summer temperatures are around 25-30 with some spikes of 35.

Attached Files:

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I thought it was outside.:doh:
    Is that as it is now?
    Its really going to hate being kept as a house plant.
    I'm surprised its still alive to be honest.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Above_

Ratings:
      +1
      It's on the balcony. Thought was I'd move to a house in a few years and plant it, but ... life ... :)

• Informative Informative x 1