Marrows and courgettes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by RobB, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    If (cut into strips) and eaten raw, I prefer yellow courgettes.

I also reckon 'giant' marrows taste better than traditional marrows (Badger Cross, LGB, LGT, etc.) especially if eaten before the skin hardens. They probably need to be at least 10lbs for be firm enough to eat. The growing area can be reduced if not going for 200 pounder.

2. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,996
    A tiddler from a 'giant marrow' plant that wasn't given much preparation/attention as it was being grown to produce marrows for eating, and has a couple of marrows left on it.

At 24lbs it's still soft skinned and juicy, whereas tradditional marrows would be much drier, tough and have skins as hard as wood when that size.

Stored in a cool place, we'll have approx. 30 Kg/plant of courgette alternative to keep us going for long after the last courgettes have been eaten or gone soft.

marrow 2019 24lbs.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,996
      Anybody got any Courgettes left?

I've still got 3 sweet, juicy marrows left weighing a total of 54lbs. The 29 pounder below was picked during the first week of October and is still perfect. A smaller one is only just starting to show some yellow streaks as it continues to ripen so will be used next. The problem with anything over 15lbs is that despite using as much as possible when it's cut up, there's loads left to put in the fridge and it's not a good time of year for that.

marrow 29lbs.jpg

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,559
      :yikes:
      Good heavens @Scrungee , that's a LOT of courgette you have! Or could it just be that you have very small feet..? ;)

With a specimen like that I'd be tempted to make a feast and roast it whole, or cut in half lengthwise on open fire.

Anyways, most, most impressive! :dbgrtmb:

• Mrgrumpy

Mrgrumpy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      Ever tried making marrow rum ?