1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Marsh Marigolds, blanket weed, newts etc.

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by hans, Apr 25, 2015.

1. goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +134
    Added information is I l=back onto a very busy road . Could this be affecting it

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know Aldershot road?

I used to live there, 160 garden backed onto Stoughton Reck.

Dug a pond there and newts came :hate-shocked:

They must have been surviving there since it was fields, can't imangine them making it across the roads

3. goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hmm , I live backing onto the Woking rd .. and as you know is a Major busy road. Years ago I used to live in Hornbeam road which eventually backs onto the Stoughton road. I had Crested Newts, Salamander , I also had tons of Frogs and Toads . I was lucky enough to have a visiting Natter- Jack toad too. But , as I have said ,living here I have had nothng

4. goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +134
    The road I currently live in is quite near to the Moggy Pond . But, saying this they would have to cross another 2 roads to get into this road

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That is surprising, given how many wetland areas are near you :scratch:

Too many cats about maybe? :sad:

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I lay down and had a snog on that when it was frozen solid :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +134
      I am hoping that the wildlife will all decide that my garden is the best .. and the parents ,as we speak, are teaching them the Green Cross Code ...:snork:

• hans

hans Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +745
      Just a update. The 2 lilies (one white one Yellow) have mostly covered the pond. The barley straw I placed earlier has had plenty of time to work, it is still in there. Lots of creatures may have helped by eating the BWeed. Between everything the pond is very clear water wise with no sign of the dreadful weed. There was a slight green on the sides when the water level dropped during the last hot spell but nothing on the other pond plants. The clogged up effect has gone away. No fish so the pump and filtration system only go on twice a week or so. Still lots of newts, frogs, Dragon flies but still waiting for the Crested Newt to arrive.
      Next year I will use Straw, take some BW out with a twirled stick, filter on daytime and just wait.

Ponds bring so much pleasure we often sit by ours, a great place for lunch or a mug of tea.

• Agree Agree x 1