1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Masks - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SimonZ, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    I think everyone understands every little helps, but its this polarised veiw everyone has taken on, the face mask issue, is just like the brexit issue, those who beleive one way is best, those who believe the other way is best, and there is no ground for sensible disscussion inbetween, the authorities will not commit fully to their beliefs in full, in public, because of the backlash, from the media and their rivals, followed by the 1000's of hate tweets, emails and facebook messages, so no real commitment or firm rules are given, only guidelines, that are well, guidelines,mand lets face it, if Boris came out tonight (in the news not the closet), and said everyone should wear a face covering, or risk being fined, those toilet roll lovers will be out panic buying, and adding £100 to each one to sell on ebay, and people will buy them, because its cheaper than the £250 fine for not wearing one.
    I dont think you will find your answer, because common scense, is not common anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      I think this illustration says it all....
      840AA5B3-EAC4-4BD5-AFE6-B009599CDB89.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
        +746
        [QUOTE="this polarised view … is just like the brexit issue, e.[/QUOTE]

Seriously - you think its as polarised as that?! Part of my confusion is that it seems to me like it should be a serious public health issue, but hardly anyone seems that passionate one way or the other.

I don't believe it is a black and white issue. Different approaches may work for different people in different ways in different environments. But what I'm seeking are concrete answers from those who are definitely opposed, as I'm struggling to find reasons why we oughtn't generally to wear them. I don't count those who suffer side effects as the opposed, as they may agree with the masks in principle - I'm talking about those who can wear them, but choose not to. Such people tend to start out by using quite emotive language about democracy, hysteria and so on, and make claims about the supposed perils of masks that have long since been debunked, then when you get down to it they can't really put together a coherent rationale, and end by saying things like "I just don't think I'd find them very comfortable," or, "I just don't want to!" Pete's last answer about how they have worn masks in China for many years was interesting, and closer to what I'm seeking.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
          +746
          I'd really like someone who is opposed to masks, and/or who claims they can't possibly do any good, to respond to this. Please explain why you think the illustration is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,609
            Seems to me that you @SimonZ should be telling the rest of us what medical criteria you would use for justifying your resistance to wearing a mask? It's not really very fair to want others to provide you with excuses not to cover up, is it? :dunno:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
              +746
              I don't quite understand this. I am pro-mask. I began as anti, but was persuaded by the case, and although I still have more questions than answers, and am far from certain, I have spent most of this thread urging anti-maskers to somehow present a science-based case for their objections. If you read back through it you will see my posts generally bear this out. However, your question of criteria is a salient one, as I am unsure as to how exactly different conclusions have been reached, and I intend to have a think about this and see if I can rise to the challenge you have posed me.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
            • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
              +746
              The only other thing I'd like to ask in relation to this illustration is, does it refer to medical/respirator masks/N95's, or the everyday masks people are wearing on buses? I want to ask about how the research was carried out etc, but assume I can do this via the website of the institution named as responsible for it, which I will do this evening.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                Ratings:
                +1,200
                Perhaps you should concerntrate on gardening

• Funny Funny x 1
                • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                  +746
                  Well if its all the same to you I'll concentrate on both. I love gardening, I also think anything I can do to help lessen any risk of contracting and passing on a killer virus is worth doing. I want to learn as much as I can about this, and Gardener's Corner is a friendly site with some very knowledgeable folk. If we can share our own ideas and views and in the process some of us learn something beneficial, where's the harm?

• Like Like x 2
                    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
                  • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                    +746
                    [QUOTE=" you @SimonZ should be telling the rest of us what medical criteria you would use [/QUOTE]

As per earlier reply, I'm not against them. I'm throwing down the gauntlet to those who are, to rebut the arguments in favour. I think claims on these sorts of matters should be held to scrutiny. I've been disappointed that many "anti-maskers" have relied on science-lite arguments, from disputed claims about co2 and the lowering of immune systems, to flimsy statements like "I just don't like them." What I'd like to know is if there are any peer-reviewed, substantial studies and data into things like the co2/immune system issues and the retention of particles in fibres versus the blocking of particles by the masks, how much of the evidence on N95's is transferable to the masks in everyday use, and the mooted risks, as laid out by the Deputy Chief Medical Officer, of increased touching, or masks as false sign of safety causing others to subconsciously move closer.
                    I respect people's personal, health related reasons not to wear them (such as asthma) nd am not in favour of a mandatory rule. But I don't believe many of the claims described above have passed muster with many scientists. The BMA are adamant they should be worn in places like shops, with most health authorities saying likewise. There is some empirical evidence to demonstrate they may provide a slight, but not wholly ineffective, barrier, and I think the burden of proof is on those claiming they are totally useless or actively harmful.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                      Do they let you in banks wearing a mask?

• Like Like x 2
                      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +30,609
                        You have to have a note too. They can't read your lips ... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +118,333
                          That's not a problem. It's easy to tell the difference between a Covid defence mask and a bank robber's mask. Bank robbers are likely to catch the virus :hate-shocked:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
                          • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                            +746
                            I don't now if you saw my questions above but I was really hoping you might be able to answer some of them. I've also become increasingly concerned about the reported risk of "side leakage" via surgical masks, especially in crowded situations ie public tansport.

• SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                            +746
                            My latest masks arrived in the post at last, so I've just had my first trip to the shops since deciding to resume wearing them.

On the one hand, I can understand the complaints of physical discomfort. I personally see masks as somewhat dehumanising at the best of times, and they are certainly not comfortable to wear. But the fact was, I lowered it to my chin almost as soon as leaving (open air, so no worries there) so it was hardly a major or long-lasting burden. Second, the idea that people are more tempted to touch their face if wearing a mask once again suggested its self to be total rubbish. I was permanently conscious of the covering, which reminded me not to touch my face 100% of the time.

On the other, I was concerned that the mask was not completely tight, and so the risk of side leakage was increased. I have now spent quIte a fair chunk on masks, there is always something wrong when they arrive - with one the strap snapped the second time I wore it - and I can't really afford to keep on buying more, so these disposables will have to suffice now until they run out.