1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Masks - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SimonZ, Jun 30, 2020.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,984
      Thought Bank Robbers wore stockings over their heads but I guess that was back in the day...I think tights spoiled things for them...

• Funny Funny x 6
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,640
        Yeah you have only got to see how it stopped the spread in China :biggrin::rolleyespink::biggrin:
        Hong Kong is different, another island, easy to stop infections coming in if you stop people coming in.
        Unfortunately on our island they decided to bring in quarantine for people coming back from Europe and other places about 3months later. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          That's not the case with some people. I've seen them poking their fingers inside their masks, then pushing a button on a well used pedestrian crossing, then pushing their fingers inside their mask again, then arriving at the doctor's surgery and pushing the entry system button, then poking their fingers in their mask again.

With behaviour like that they (and others) might be better off if they didn't bother.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,640
            Then there is the mask pulled down, only over the mouth, presumably because they want to breath properly.
            :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
              +746
              No-one is saying they are not uncomfortable. I loathe wearing a mask, it offends me on a very fundamental, major level, and at times I find it very physically irritating. But try as I do - and believe me I have - I just can't bring myself to use that as a reason not to wear one, given that they may act as a safety barrier to prevent me unwittingly tansmitting covid to others. I've pulled mine down after leaving a shop, because it was just me, walking down streets and along a canal towpath to get home. As such, the hassle of wearing it was decreased. Recent evidence appears to suggest that the problem we should really be focusing on is the transmission of covid indoors, in enclosed spaces where there are multiple people. I'm finding it harder and harder to discern sound reasons, based on scientific arguments or simple morality, that masks worn in such settings are harmful or useless. I am exerting every intellectual sinew in order to do the mental gymnastics necessary to convince me those shunning them are not just doing so through carelessness, but literally every single claim I see online has been comprehensively debunked by recognized experts. The one single exception I see to this is your mention of China, which I agree merits further investigation. If they are so effective, why did they not stop the virus there, etc? However you also seem to acknowledge their effectiveness in Hong Kong, and it seems to be the case also that most countries where mask wearing is more common also have lower infection rates - Just how effective are masks at stopping coronavirus? Here's what new research says.

• SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
              +746
              [QUOTE="Scrungee,

With behaviour like that they (and others) might be better off if they didn't bother.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. My wish is for the best and most effective ways of preventing transmission, so if for some reason any individual is likelier to behave in ways that may assist transmission through wearing a mask, then of course I'm all in favour of them being dssuaded from doing so. It would be self-defeating to argue otherwise.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,548
              I stood behind a woman in a queue a few weeks ago who pulled down her mask to smoke a cigarette, which I inhaled being only 6ft behind her.

At our doctors surgery we have to ring a bell. A receptionist comes to open the door which we're not allowed to touch, she wears a mask and screen on her face, apron and gloved hands. She then directs us through to use a hand sanitiser before we touch anything. We don't have to wear a mask but the doctors where them and plastic aprons and gloves.

• Agree Agree x 1
                Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                Ratings:
                +54,373
                • Like Like x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,330
                  Just because some people handle wearing masks in a stupid way doesn't mean that more sane people shouldn't wear them. They're just moving towards receiving a Darwin Award.

"The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who accidentally remove themselves from it in a spectacular manner!"

Driving whilst drunk doesn't improve your chance of survival but a lot do it! Unfortunately they also jeopardise others.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                    +746
                    [QUOTE="doesn't mean that more sane people shouldn't wear them.[/QUOTE]

My entire approach to this whole issue is based on emprical evidence. I found that I had abolutely no desire to touch my face when wearing the mask, so it blows that theory out of the water for me personally. Others may find the opposite, in which case it would be grossly irresponsible of them to take that risk. I see no correlation between this and levels of intelligence - if anything, people who decide against on such grounds are being sensible.

Where I am struggling is on three fronts - Pete's point about China is at least worth looking into. Its contradicted by lower rates in oher mask-happy countries but can't be totally overlooked. Second, the issue of side leakage is now causing me immense worry. I've spent a few quid on different masks, and not one has yet been completely tight. The more I read up on side and back leakage, the more I fear - especially when I have to wear a mask for transport - that I will be putting lives at risk by wearing one. Third, safe disaposal. No-one seems able to tell me where to safel bin the disposable masks. Every public health website I look at says you must dispose of them "appropriately," but doesn't explain what this means, other than saying they must not under any circumstances go in general waste or bins, as that may help spread covid.

• Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                    Ratings:
                    +1,200
                    Side leakage, back leakage, you colud wear a Balaclava:heehee:

• pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,640
                    I bet your Mum made you wear one of those when you was a kid.;)
                    But mostly in the winter, wearing one mid summer would be a bit itchy I think.:biggrin:

Thinking of going for a gas mask.:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                      +746
                      It seems this thread has pretty much reached the point where it risks becoming a circular discussion now, so perhaps its time to call it quits. Given that epidemiologists and public health experts have urged us to wear them, I honestly expected at least some substantial reasons people are choosing not to. If I was determined to do something medical experts claimed was a risk to other people's health, I like to think I'd at least dig a little deeper than "I'm not wearing one because Piers Morgan says I should." Other than Pete's point about China, which I am still looking into, I haven't heard a single solid argument against, and plenty for. I was challenged by CanadianLori to set out what "medical criteria" I would want to weigh any arguments against, so I'll end by sharing a video I've just discovered which breaks down some of the science for why experts in this field are pretty much concordant in their view masks do at least a little good. I'd really appreciate it if anyone who is still opposed to them after watching could take the time to explain why, but with answers rooted in hard science and verifiable data. If that isn't possible I'll just assume those opposed don't actually have any solid evidence based reasons and just aren't wearing them because they just can't be bothered.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                        Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,548
                        Why not buy builders masks?