1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Masks - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SimonZ, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    Most motorcyclists wear balaclava's under their helmets all year round @pete. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,974
      @SimonZ , I think you have been trying to find something that is not there.
      If you cough or sneeze you put your hand over your face, well I do anyway, so by wearing a mask you are covering your face.
      Its simple, and that's how it works.

People dont wear them because they dont like them.
      End of.

I think you have been searching for something that is not there, a reason not to wear a mask?
      There aint one, other than 50% of the population dont like them.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,974
      Do they, why?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      To help stop their heads sweating inside the helmet.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,484
        Because they're all bank robbers! :whistle: That's the way rumours spread :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 5
        • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
          +746

• SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
          +746

• pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,974
          This is just going round in circles.
          Yes its not good to cough or sneeze into your hand, but the suggestion is, from government, you do it into your elbow.
          Not possible, well I cant anyway, and wouldn't want to.:biggrin:
          If I was wearing a mask and sneezed the first thing I would have to do is pull the mask down and wipe my nose, so the mask is just a physical barrier to stop you spraying everyone else.
          I'd probably feel the sneeze coming on and take the mask off first, then use a handkerchief.
          Who wants to sneeze into a mask?

Its not some sure fired way of avoiding catching something, its just that, a physical means of stopping droplets from you getting sprayed into the air.
          Personally I think keeping your mouth shut works just as well.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
          • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,830
            .......Or because they think they are unmanly or unflattering in some way. Seems to me if you care about other people you wear them in enclosed public places.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,484
              I look better with a mask on. :whistle:

I just got a reminder from my chiropodist about my appointment tomorrow and they asked me to arrive wearing a mask.

• Like Like x 2
              • Funny Funny x 2
              • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                +746
                Yes, that's pretty much my position too. However, I've learned a lot since starting out asking about this - not just on GC but on sundry other sites and in the offline world - and I know of many cases where people's pre-existing health conditions prevent them wearing one. I also think it should be a matter of judgement based on other factors. I'm not a mask fundamentalist (far from it - I'd naively hoped the militant anti-maskers would offer me some sound, evidence-based reason to tear mine off for good!) - and as I'm currently reliant on disposables, I don't always wear one. I willl soon need to wear them to get to work, and don't want to be without at a crucial time like that, so if I am just popping to the shop at a quiet time and know I'll be in and out within a couple of mins, then I'll go "un-masked" and just ensure I do all the other things that help, and, to paraphrase Pete, keep my mouth shut (though I suspect he meant it in a rather less constructive way).
                Its about making maximum effective use of resources rather than have to bin a mask after wearing it for just 10 or 15 mins and risking being caught short when needing one for a longer time in a more enclosed space. I might even carry one in the sealed bags they come in for occasions when I find I need one unexpectedly. Most of the time I just wear one whenever I leave my flat to go shopping, though. I do think flexibility is something that will help us generally as we navigate our way through the next stage(s) of this crisis. Indeed, the militant pro and anti maskers have one thing in common - an inflexibility which to outside observers looks bigoted, and may well prove self-defeating.

• SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                +746
                [I just got a reminder from my chiropodist about my appointment tomorrow and they asked me to arrive wearing a mask.[/QUOTE]

That's another thing in their favour - the fact that not only health professionals, but pretty much all public-facing services and facilities are requiring people wear them. The militant anti-maskers must surely ask themselves why it is that the vast majority of skilled profssionals in every line of work make it a condition of entry to their premises, and whether they would do the same if the tables were turned. Front line workers (I've been one for over 20 years) often get it in the neck in many ways, from many directions - the least we can do is show them the respect they deserve and try not to put their lives at risk when entering their work places.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,594
                Scotland was released from lockdown last week and from yesterday (Monday) we now have to wear masks on public transport and in all shops. The choice until now has been pretty much down to the individual so I chose not to wear one, as the only shop I visit is a large supermarket and the precautions taken by the shop I felt was enough. I also have a hairdressers appointment in two weeks where I'm also required to wear a mask. I don't want to wear one but I'll abide by the regulations.

• SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                +746
                [QUOTEI chose not to wear one, as the only shop I visit is a large supermarket and the precautions taken by the shop I felt was enough.[/QUOTE]

Interesting thanks. Can I ask: are you disappointed that it is now mandatory? Do you think it is excessive? Do you think there will be any benefits from making them mandatory? Should I assume that as you say you thought the existing shop precautions were enough that you do not believe the masks to be actively harmful?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,594
                Not disappointed but surprised as new cases here are now in low single figures on a daily basis. Virus numbers in Scotland have been lower than the rest of the country, possibly due to the lockdown here being longer than elsewhere and a smaller population. I live in the Highlands where numbers have been very low.

At the moment regarding smaller shops and services - no.

The staff of the above will benefit, even though numbers are at there lowest there is still a risk.

I wasn't referring to all shops, just those retailers who's shop floor space is large enough like supermarkets to cope with the social distancing measures. I don't think the masks are actively harmful in themselves, however I would baulk at the thought of wearing any that come from China. We don't know the conditions they have been produced under and whether there's a chance they carry the virus as they are in sealed packets on arrival.