1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mistletoe. A good idea?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Jocko, Jan 3, 2022.

1. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    I managed to get some local mistletoe berries, but also bought from an online seller who was also based in the county I lived in - I hoped it might make them more likely to take. I have a bag of them in my freezer to establish on my trees when I moved to my current garden, but haven't done it yet. You don't need to slit the bark or anything, just spread the gloopy pulp onto the bark - preferably not too thick a stem otherwise the bark is too tough to penetrate.

2. Malus Aforethought

Malus Aforethought Gardener

Analyst
    Ratings:
    +419
    Been getting mail order fresh mistletoe delivered for many Xmases now and last year, finally twigged about trying to get them taking on one of the apple trees. Chose a bird seed dropping tree to experiment on, and despite doing the googled step-bys, spray daily to keep moist a habitual checkpoint, nothing ever happened. Maybe it was the condition of the berries having been inside and past their best. This year, kept the mistletoe at the front door, and in much better condition for glooping out and into the tree. It’s a hit and hope, but you never know, there’s always next Xmas anyway.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
      Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
      Ratings:
      +6,780
      From what I have read the berries are best picked in late February or early March.