1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern car nightmare

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Oct 28, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I was just out the front of my house when an old lady called across from the club next door. "Can anybody change a wheel?" she asked. "Of course", I replied, and went to get my trolley jack.

My dad was here too, so he also came to assist. I got to work on removing the popped the wheel while my dad searched for the spare. At first he couldn't find it, but then it turned out to be UNDER the car. Some strange contraption in the boot would apparently release the wheel. None of us could figure it out. We even referred to the handbook, followed all the instructions to the letter, but still the spare would not release. My dad and I felt really bad because we completely failed to get the spare wheel out, so I had no choice but to put the duff wheel back on and tell the lady to call the AA.

This was an old lady. Imagine her trying to change the wheel in the hard shoulder of the motorway at night in the pouring rain. What a nightmare. Yet another reason why I prefer older cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,986
      At least there was a spare wheel. On most modern cars all you get now is a solution to pump into the tyre which allows you to drive slowly to the nearest tyre centre. Great if you a out during opening hours.

• Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
      Ratings:
      +1,984
      I've got that tire crap, I'd rather get towed to a garage & have a chance of a tire repair than have that gunk messing up the inside of the wheel & potentially ruining what could be a repairable tire

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      I have "Run Flat" tyres on my car.. You can safely drive at low speed for 50 miles so usually enough to get to a garage or tyre place..

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      Let me guess, it was French...

• Funny Funny x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,177
        We had a spare wheel under the boot in our Galaxy, there was a winder mechanism to lower it down. It was exposed to the elements so trapped muck and crud and the winding mechanism could easily jam up. The garage that serviced it suggested every year I lower the spare and give it a good clean.

• kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
        Ratings:
        +4,586
        You're obviously not a Scouser. They'd have had it released from underneath the car in 3 secs. Mind you! That'd be the last you saw of the wheel as well! :) :) :)

(With apologies to those fine upstanding forumites from Liverpool.)

• Funny Funny x 3
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          This reminds me of a faux pas I made on a plane once on our way back from holiday. For the last 20 minutes or so of the flight, they showed a map on the telly screens with a little marker to show where we were. We were getting quite low, shaken off quite a lot of speed, and yet we hadn't heard the unmistakable clunks and clangs of the undercarriage being lowered. Wife commented on this point and ask if I knew why this was. "Look" I told her, "see where we are. We're right over Liverpool, if they lower the wheels now someone'll ave em before we even hit the tarmac". A few people chuckled. Except for the couple sat across the aisle from me who sat there staring for a second, stony faced. Then they decided they'd stared me out long enough and continued chatting amongst themselves, in their broad scouser accents:doh::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
            Last edited: Oct 28, 2014