1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Technology and IT

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Moving on a bit. IT etc has improved communications etc also what I term,'Record Keeping'. For instance. Today I received my driving licence renewal form. Flippin postie didn't push the envelope right through the letterbox. It was peeing down with rain, so. Envelope and form got soaked. Wowee! DVLA has now introduced licence renewal...................on line. I was already registered with gov.org or whatever for car tax renewal. In the past, I have been a bit of a stickler for keeping my documents etc in order. You think I could find my login details. In the end I had to re-register. Finally I got an email saying my new three year licence would be with me within a couple of weeks.

Now this use of IT to me is a good thing. I consider it has been a long time coming to the UK. For yonks, when chatting about such matters. I have so often said that we needed a system whereby the authorities could instantly identify us. OK, Police State and all that. NO. Ask yourself. Why should I be afraid if I have done nothing wrong. I would like to see whatever government that is in power, to introduce a statutory ID card. This could with the aid of IT be divided say into three sections, each only being able to be read by the appropriate authority. Apart from giving your name and address. Medical refs etc. Then if need be, criminal records.

Albrit a long time ago, but when I was a traffic cop. The number of drivers I stopped had neither their driving licence or any identity with them. This might seem of little importance but think now!

Scenario. Cgarlie Brown is driving home when he is involved in an RTC-Road Traffic Collission. Emergengy services arrive on scene. This guy has no ID. So the police unit get in touch with vehicle registration, known as a PNC check. Now the guy has an identity. Paramedics say he's in a serious state. Question. Might he be allergic to any medication. The poor begger is sufferring excruciating pain, passing in and out. Perhaps a dose of morphine might help, then he might have an allergy. Such a bit of IT could save lives. The important thing is. The answer is needed here and now.

A visit to the GP surgery.....that is, if you can get one. For some reason or other. You phone for an appointment. I am spitting up blood. Sorry the next available appt is two weeks time. Ye GODS!!!

So modern technology and IT really does have a place in todays fast moving world. Is it realistic to imagins a system so often portrayed on the screen, like the US, as governmental form filling etc, one day becoming . Click here. ??????????

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,384
    I agree that there are some advantages to modern technology and certainly have found it advantageous to renew my driving licence and bus pass on line and have done so a few times. :blue thumb: It helped that I had a passport as they just link with that service to use the photo I submitted for the passport.

Renewing Blue Badges is not made easy as they specify that a very recent photo is required, although they could just as easily take another linked photo - or any one that is a good likeness. I must admit that I didn't comply with that rule when recently making an application for a Blue Badge (for someone else) but it was accepted without hesitation.

I do find it a nuisance to have to keep getting passport style photos for visas (I travel a lot and, of course, they're nothing to do with this country's rules) when I could just as easily use another recent one that I have had done. Most visas say that you need a photo that was taken in the last three, or six, months. Whereas I think it's over officious when it need only say that the photo must be a good likeness. Photo booths are not always the answer as some visas require different size photos.

I'm still not convinced about a compulsory ID card. I have an innate dislike of being told I must carry something around with me. This doesn't need to be a logical dislike as it's an emotional one. As with your example: If I had a serious allergy, or two, it would be in my best interest to carry a card with me saying something to that effect. These cards have been available for years.

I'm not sure how this fits in with the rest of the post as it doesn't seem to gel with the use of technology. However, I do see it as a valid pointer about the way some surgeries make things seem very difficult, even if it's a rather garish and inaccurate example. If you did tell them that you were spitting blood they would fit you in straight away. Appointments for other things may take longer. Fortunately, I rarely have a need to go to the surgery but if I consider it a necessity to be seen quickly I say so. I'm not sure that I like the idea of group appointments that has been in the news lately. :scratch:

To a certain extent, technology should be a tool and not a weapon. Admittedly, a little bit trite as a statement but it gets the idea across. I want to be in control of how far I need to use technology as I'm an old curmudgeon.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    But I don't want to keep re-visiting stores like Wilkos and finding they still don't have the stuff I want in stock. Very often the only to get some items into store is to place a 'click and collect' order.

And there'll be no shops left to physically buy stuff at the rate they're closing, and the ones left could well be very expensive and hold a limited range of products in stock.

Here goes a local Homebase, and an extra £3.50 in fuel to drive to the next nearest one, and possibĺy a very frustrating waste of time and money for anybody who goes without checking stock online first.

homebase closing.jpg

P.S. Having a smartphone with you at a closing down Homebase is very useful for comparing their reduced prices against Screwfix, B&Q, Ebay, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Unfortunately the closure of many stores throughout the country is the price we are paying for buying stuff on line instead of going to the stores themselves.Who in their right mind is going to spend money on transport (lot more than £3.50 @Scrungee :)if you live like I do in the countryside with few shops close by) and possibly parking fees plus taking up time to visit a store only to find the choice of the item wanted is less and price often more.
      Can anybody ever see the traditional high streets having a revival? Our local town is decimated. Most of the shops which are not closed down are either hair dressers, fast food outlets, pubs, charity shops (they don't pay rates) and a couple of supermarkets.. I was never a "window shopper" who seemed to enjoy wandering round shopping centres so I'm not fussed but I'm sure many people will be missing what appeared as their pastime.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,384
        I suppose it depends on whether I want to buy anything from those stores. I haven't bought anything in Wilkos since way before they changed their name from Wilkinson's. Actually, I can't ever remember shopping in there!

I also don't buy much at all in any Homebase or DIY store so don't need to know if things are in stock. Similarly with most shops. Why should I buy something new when I still have the equivalent that I've had for 50 years? :old: :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Most seeds germinate better if used fresh.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,725
          An ID card would be great for the identity thieves, once they have hacked into the government site that holds all the info it would save them messing around with the likes of facebook.:biggrin:

I think we have all seen those old war films where the Gestapo demand to see your papers, carry your documents at all times or take the consequences.:biggrin:

Not keen on putting too much info on the internet, its as leaky as hell.

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,725
            I keep getting insurance companies etc. wanting me to do everything online, banks keep sending me Apps, they can poke them, send me a letter if you have something worth saying, if its just drivel, forget it, I dont want you machine sent e mails.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,997
              Mrs Scrungee has been helping somebody she knows to claim benefits (she used to do this as part of her job, including negotiating with creditors, representing clients in court, providing financial and housing advice, etc.).

And the local authority expects everybody to have a computer, scanner, internet access, and be IT literate in order to claim, regardless of their age and disabilities.

I can manage my house and car insurance policies online, but I always select receiving a hard copy via post, and I renew on the phone because you can't haggle if renewing online.

I don't trust online banking, nor do I entirely trust non-online banking and get bank statements in the post every month.

But I manage our energy bills online.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,725
                Yep, they don't make allowances for people who are not online.
                I can remember when I first started, it took me ages to work out how to do things, some of it is still a total mystery to me.
                And I do know people who are not on line, they will never learn.

Oh you can just go to your local library :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,384
                  What seeds? :scratch: I always have my own seeds, or ones given to me. Apart from that we only buy runner bean seeds in bulk from the wholesalers. :)

I don't bother with non gardening things.

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,384

I do that too :blue thumb: but always only do it on paperwork - apart from renewing Blue Badges for people.

I agree with renewing by phone so that I can haggle and always get hard copies. :thumbsup: I don't need to manage any of them on line.

I check my bank accounts on line but never do any transactions on line and always have paper statements. Any transactions are done by phone with a direct dial number.

I agree but only do energy on line by putting in meter readings. any other transactions (almost non-existent) are done by phone.

I have one of these archaic things called a landline. :snorky:

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                  At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                  Ratings:
                  +49,512
                  It appears I got very lucky with my recent blue badge application then - submitted in the afternoon, and approved by the following afternoon. Finally, something Surrey is good at!!!

• Like Like x 3