1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moss, weeds, bare patches, dead grass, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Bob Duckodil, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Bob Duckodil

Bob Duckodil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I've just moved into a new house and the lawn is poor.

Moss

Weeds

Bare patches (in some places just soil)

Patches of dead grass

I've jumped straight in and applied some evergreen food for the grass and a liquid weed killer, but then realised I do not know the best way to proceed.

I would like to kill the moss, but I read I cannot put down new seed for some time after the moss killer and cannot pur down moss killer for at least 6 months after reseeding. The lawn is heavy with moss in places, so wondered if I put moss killer down, then waited a couple of months to put new grass seen down... I then can't apply anything for 6 months, since there is so much moss, won't the moss come back? Is this the best / only way to do this?

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Hi Bob, could you post a photo showing the lawn for us.
    Has your lawn always suffered with moss issues?

The photo will be very helpful and will help to determine the right route for you.

3. Bob Duckodil

Ratings:
    +2
    Sure I'll take some photographs this afternoon and post them here. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bob Duckodil

Ratings:
      +2
      I'm not sure the history of the moss issues as I've not been in the property for very long.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Moss tends to be an ongoing issue sadly. Sometimes it can be cured but most of the time it just needs a gentle hand to keep it at bay.

• Bob Duckodil

Ratings:
      +2
      I've tried to grasp as many aspects of the grass as possible... hopefully this is useful.

Kind regards
      Bob

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        What type of soil do you have?

Some patching up is required.
        When did you apply the weed killer and fertiliser?
        There’s several ways to proceed, you could add a weed and feed and many contain Fe/iron so that will kill a good percentage of the moss and harden up the grass plant but you need to seed afterwards and not before if you wand to patch up the open areas.
        In a way you were almost there with a separate feed and weed killer. Herbicides work best when the targeted plant is in full growth so a feed only promotes both grass and weeds to grow then when you apply a liquid weed killer you will achieve better results.
        Normally new grass needs several months to establish itself before a weed and feed, seed can be added after a weed and feed from 3 to 4 weeks later or earlier depending on weather. Most weed and feeds are known as straight fertilisers so they are short lived at about 6 weeks max, liquid is less.
        The other way is to use MO bacteria to feed and tackle the moss and you use a liquid weed killer. This product rather than turning the moss black will eat away at the moss. It’s more dependant on the weather and it’s a slow release fertiliser so you will get a steady growth and unlike iron it will not stain flooring and it’s almost impossible to over apply.
        You could rake the moss up by hand first then apply a weed and feed.
        There are several ways of doing the job.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Bob Duckodil

Ratings:
          +2
          Hi,
          Thank you very much, this is a great help, I think I'll go with the bacteria option, I never knew this existed. I assume I would apply this several times in a year and every year?

I'm not sure what kind of soil, but im pretty sure its not great quality.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Here’s a link for some info on MO Bacter

MO Bacter Organic Lawn Fertiliser

I see my silly spell correct came into play on my previous post!
          I find it needs to be warm and damp for it to work at its best and needs to be applied at max rate.
          Yes you can apply it a few times as I’m a bit suspect on it’s stated longtivity with regards to the fertiliser.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,979
            That’s interesting @Liz the pot . After this round of lawn treatment etc i will try out that Mo Bacter.

• Friendly Friendly x 1