1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moved house into a BEAUTIFUL garden, I need to identify plants/trees to keep it up??

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by dizzychick2k, Aug 4, 2011.

1. dizzychick2k

dizzychick2k Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all! Nice to meet you, its my first time here and I thought I would ask the advice of the experts if you are kind enough to give it!

I have bought my first house, from a retired couple who loved their garden and have spent YEARS landscaping it carefully - while it isnt huge it is absolutely gorgeous and each plant has been carefully chosen to come back year after year - with a pond, water fountain and regular visits from lots of different birds, frogs toads and especially hedgehogs! I have to say Ive never been into gardening at all since Ive been here I have never been so happy :) Now I'm really getting into it and I think Im a bit obsessed if Im honest!! :loll:

Im wondering if you could help me identify some of the plants and trees here, for a medium sized garden ( a side garden and separate at the back) and maybe some tips to keep up the good work? Some plants have seen better days (in the back garden which is paved all plants are potted and there are some still alive but not doing as well as they should??) And also there is alot of ivy which I am losing a winning battle against.. Ivy is my pet hate but when we moved it was in the shape of an elephant with tusks and eyes and everything, I've kept it up but I need help or tips!

Just wanted to see if anyone could help.

Much love, Dizzy.x

2. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi Dizzy, welcome, I'm sure if you can get a few pics of the plants/trees you want to look after and post them then there are plenty of us that will do our best to help :thumb:

3. Keinnaf

Keinnaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    I won't be able to help identify anything as I am a novice and rubbish but since we bought our first home last year I have become quite addicted to gardening too. would love to see pictures, I am looking for ideas to fill the garden with things that will provide year round colours every year etc.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Dizzy.. Sounds a bit like you have moved to a dream garden..!! Post up some pics as I am sure we can help as Bilbo says.. Look forward to seeing you around the forums.. :thumbsup:

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Oh dear ... another addict LOL
    You are in for some very enjoyable and relaxing years ahead :)

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Dizzy and welcome to the site.:dbgrtmb:

7. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Welcome to our mutual obsession.:dbgrtmb:Mrs Chopper

8. CazH1975

CazH1975 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I've only found this site today and I've a feeling it'll be my gardening bible! I'm getting obsessed with my garden too and its frustrating me that I don't know enough yet. Oh well they say that all good things come to those who wait, we'll see!