1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mowing after overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by luiza, Apr 16, 2015.

1. luiza

luiza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I've firstly sown my grass in October/14, last March I noticed the grass was still very thin so I over-seeded it the traditional way (mow, add a thin layer or topsoil and seeds) to see if it would get any thicker. It's been 4 weeks and the March grass is mostly 2cm tall so not ready for its first mow but the October grass has grown so much it is mostly 12cm tall (and my grass still thin and bald in places). I want to mow the grass but I'm worried it could damage the fragile March lawn. Should I mow it or not?

ps: my lawn mower is a hover mower so highest I can do is 3cm

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

4.jpg
    5.jpg

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    A hover mower is not the best sort of mower for a lawn Luiza as they tend to tear at the grass, perhaps you might consider changing it. The cut on your mower is not high enough not to damage the new grass when mowing, so you will have to wait a little longer for the new grass to establish unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,952
      It will take time to thicken up, but if you have to mow make sure the blades are sharp and for the grass seed that you planted in march just go around it

• Like Like x 1
      • luiza

luiza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        Thanks guy, do you think I will be OK walking the grass to hang clothes on my clothes line? I'd like to use my clothes line to dry my laundry but I don't want to damage the grass...

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,612
        Luiza can't do that Jiffy, the lawn was over seeded.

Walking on it at the moment is not going to help it's problems, it needs time to recover.

• Agree Agree x 2