Multiple Ants nest on Lawn - how to get rid of???

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by marty 600, Apr 27, 2006.

1. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    and the meek shall inherit the earth. :D

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Only if they have bigger mowers!! :D :D

3. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A bit lte for this comment but I have the same problem every year and simply brush themand the rotary mower does the rest.

Ant killers are OK and the only one which works for me is the Nippon powder.

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    See chobart's post on attracting birds: "Interestingly the woodpeckers are regular visitors to the 'peanut' cages but the green variety love the ants which live in the lawn.............. "

Why kill ants with Nippon when you too can have green woodpeckers do the job for you?

Why oh why is so much gardening about poisoning plants and animals? The real enemies of the gardener are the multi-national chemical companies who tell you that you cannot garden without their disgusting poisons. You can - you really can!

5. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    I have a grass box on my petrol rotory mower and It transfers ants into my new compost heap. Hopefully when it heats up, starts working, they will go. And Hornbeam, I am with you as regards letting birds do the removing but I don't think birds generally see them as a food source. I don't have green woodpeckers, I have the other sort but he tends to stay in the oak trees, heard but not always seen.

6. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, but have you ever seen blackbirds and starlings anting? They preen themselves in ants and let them run into their feathers. The theory is that the ants squirt out formic acid which kills the bird's parasites. Ants in the garden do very little damage - they may loosen the soil under an alpine and take greenfly to roses, but the blue tits will soon hoover them up.