1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Musa Ensete Maurelli problems...Help!

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by PhilC, Nov 15, 2020.

1. PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    Hey everyone,

I've had a Musa Ensete plant (banana) for a few months which had been growing well until I'd dropped something on it which snapped it in half. It's been attempting to grow new leaves now but they're now an odd thin shape compared to how they were previously. In addition, the leaves start to go brown and die off before they've even fully opened up.

Is there anything obvious that I'm doing wrong with it or has the initial damaged caused this? I've not been misting it or anything and it's being kept indoors.

Thanks!

20201115_133105.jpg 20201115_133109.jpg

2. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    I'm not an expert on indoor plants, but from the way it is withering I'd say maybe over watering?! (that's usually how I kill mine :heehee:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      It’s too wet plus it’s going into winter it will naturally slow down ... let the compost dry out ....

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,320
        I should of asked ....so no drainage holes in the pot ? It’s best kept on a large saucer with drainage holes

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,077
          Doesn't look like Ensete which has red leaves, it's more like M basjoo.

Either way give it a bit more ventilation as it looks to be getting grey mould. It might be too warm indoors, and as others have said it naturally slows down this time of year.

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
          Ratings:
          +1,663
          Musa ensete is a mish mash of two species cobbled together. The plant in question looks like ensete ventricosum, maurelli being the red leaved form. Either way, pull it out of the compost, wash off the roots, dump it back in the pot, cover with UNWATERED compost, leave until late march early april, repot into fresh compost, a little watering and when you see visible signs it's woken up and growing you can up the watering. When you really see it's growing, feed every time you water, which will be most days.
          After last frosts, which is round about mid april, grow it outside. Water and feed, water and feed, until mid october, when you pull it out, wash, etc, etc.
          Another look at the photo and it could be maurelli, they turn green in reduced sunlight.
          Follow this advice, in about three or four years we'll talk about propagation by smashing the meristem!:paladin:

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,725
            It looks too small to overwinter in a dormant state, its obviously not happy but apart from being in a pot that is probably without drainage holes it look like its just giving up the ghost regarding leaves.
            If it was mine I'd repot, check for good white roots, cut off any rotten ones right back to the base of the stem, and probably put in as smaller pot as is possible, but one with drainage holes.

Then I'd cross my fingers and hope for the best.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
              +38
              Yeah I think I'd added around 5 decent sized drainage holes. I think I may have just watered it way too often lately then seen it dying off so watered it even more. I hadn't added anything to the compost to help with drainage though...just compost.

• PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
              +38
              Yeah I'm a bit unsure with this one as I have a Basjoo and Ensete at home that are pretty big. This one I did buy from B&M but they'd all been battered after the big storm we'd had but I'd chanced buying it anyway, then I'd damaged it again weeks later so I guess I'm surprised it's alive at all.

The mould on the surface has also been made worse by me thinking...'oh it's dying lets mix in some fish blood and bone' so I think it's traces of that going mouldy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,725
                I think it's probably Ensete ventricosum the species plant and not the variety Maurelli.

Unless of course it was red when you bought it :smile:

If you grow it from seed you just get the green plant.
                Musa is a different group of plants.