1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My £50 polytunnel from eBay

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Scrungee, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    And I thought you were joking when you suggested that. All my staging is protected against mice with anti-climb bands of shiny black polythene dpm, but I still put the peas, beans, sunflowers, etc. on the top tier just in case (and they always germinate much better up there). My raking supports mean my thinner hoops are plenty strong enough for some similar, but I'd probably have to lift them down for watering. Just goes to show how much stuff can be crammed into a relatively small tunnel at peak times.

Might try and think of how to construct so lowerable high level racking, sort of 'Sheila Maid' hanging clothes airer style.

• Like Like x 2
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,699
      Now that is a top tip !

Steve...:)

• Michael T

Michael T Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      How good are these?? looking for a cheap solution for a greenhouse :)
      Dont really want to spend £300 on a greenhouse, when i could buy something like this, and then spend the money on the inside :)
      But will it need alot of reinforcing like youve done? how have you done it? will it with stand 25mph winds? lol

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      You need a good quality one, which is well anchored, otherwise it falls under the classification of "A Blowaway" :(

Have you considered a greenhouse off eBay? There was an Eden one earlier this week (quality brand, Aluminium + Glass) 12 x 10 for £150 [buy-it-now] including some staging, and a slightly smaller one (Auction). Both might still be available. Depends on location of course ...

Plenty of people have got them off Freecycle for naught ...

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Although mine's on an exposed site, it's rock solid with the vertical exterior post & raking interior timber bracing and has withstood winter gales. But if the vents are closed for a frosty night and I don't get to it before say 9:00 am after the sun hits it early, the temp inside will be over 100degF when I open it up. But my longer term plans are to create polycarbonate windows in the opposite to door ends fitted with auto vents.

• Like Like x 1
      • Michael T

Michael T Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks, i have considered a greenhouse, but im 15 adn on a tight budgt, we all know how pocket moeny runs :L, going to have to sell loads of things at the moment :L, was wondering if i could get one of these, for £50 and spending a few bob on adding frames like you have? will it be okay?

Thanks

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,699
        I have a similar to one to Scrungees, only a little larger.It too is on an exposed site and is only anchored well so that it does not "blowaway". It has no bracing other than the frame that came with it and has withstood winter winds upto 120mph.

• Michael T

Michael T Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Wow :) how have you anchored it mate? i was thinking or getting 4 stakes, and putting one at each corner, and metal strapping the frame to it, then i was going to do what scrungees has done with one of the door ways :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I bought an Eden 10 x 8 on my pocket money when I was 15 ... I'm sure my parents were worried about me and thought I should have been out spending my money on the girls rather than buying a greenhouse! One of the best decisions I ever made, with the benefit of hindsight.

Just make sure you don't spend £50 on something that will only last a few months because it can't withstand a half-decent gale

Worth asking for free greenhouses on Freecycle before you finalise your decision ...

• Michael T

Michael T Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        thanks :) will have to think about it, ive got £300 to spend on a greenhouse or poly and that includes a £100 solar system setup, so £200 :S

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,699
        I've a topic here http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/steves-polytunnels.33033/ that takes you through how I put up and then used the tunnel last year. I'm also just finishing off putting up a second one using a different anchoring system, as this newer tunnel is much stronger construction.

It'll give you a comparison of ideas, Scrungees ideas with the strapping has worked very well, and his bracing (internal) has doubled as temporary shelf supports too.

• Michael T

Michael T Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        posted on it :)
        looks great, i love the anchoring idea, would easily beable to do that!! jsut get some old pieces of heavy metal, or even big rocks :) will work a threat :) i'll try adn get a metal framed one :) thank you

• Michael T

Michael T Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
      • Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997

That's 3 x 2m and galvanised, the one in this thread is 4.5 x 2m and has white painted tubes (like garden gazebos have). The supplier I bought from now only tunnels with galvanised tubes http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GROW-UR-OWN?_trksid=p4340.l2563 Prices of tunnels have fallen since I bought this one and the supplier in the link you provided does one like mine for £49.90 + £4.99 P&P.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Good tip; I see greenhouses for free on our local freecycle groups quite regularly. You have to dismantle and collect yourself of course but when its for free that really doesn't matter if you can get someone to give you a hand..:WINK1: :dbgrtmb:

Saw one advertised the other day on one of ours that would have been a "steal", 12ft with a brick base, all dismantled and ready to go (bricks included)!!, just needed a couple of new pieces of glass...:hate-shocked:, alas it was already taken...:doh::biggrin: