1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

my first allotment but very disheartened at the moment

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by lazy-gardener, Mar 7, 2021.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello all.

I have just got an allotment plot that it seems every one else turned down as it’s been empty for years and is overgrown with couch grass but thought I would take it on as the only one I could get.
    I have a garden but only grow flowers and know not a lot about vegetables but have been reading and watching video after video.
    I thought i would cover half the plot and work on the other half but have found out it takes over a year for the stuff to die off and I am so impatient. Then I came across the no dig method and things looked up. However despite having watched a few of Charles Downing videos I have many questions. Most assume an abundance of compost availability for which I have none unless I buy it . I can make some raised beds and put a couple of layers of cardboard down but to fill even a 4 x 4 bed would require at least a couple of big bags of mpc and I am not sure if I have enough money to fill more than a couple. And I am not even sure if I could afford the compost that little baby plants would be able to get their roots down past all the couch grass?

I have started digging a strip manually but it’s hard going. I have dug it over 3 times so far with each time getting a bit more roots out and after about 10 hours work I do have a strip relatively couch grass free but it’s very slow going . I know I can’t expect much this first year but I am seriously deflated that at this rate I won’t be able to grow anything this year with the weed situation.

I suppose I am just after some advice on the best way to go as I don’t want to give in already and dont have the knowledge to know how to tackle it

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,980
      hi there!

please don't get disheartened. once you get going it will all come together and will be worth it. just do it in sections.

i know a lot of people would hate me for suggesting it, but if its really bad would it be worth weedkillering a section?

dig over some section and pull out the couch grass and then see if you can get some free horse manure from somewhere or maybe see if another allotment holder wants to goes halves on a bulk bag of compost with you which you would then dig into the ground?

• Agree Agree x 4
        Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        I took over an allotment a long time ago that was totally couch grass and thistles, and digging it out was the way I went about it.
        Took one whole summer of digging to do the whole allotment, I was younger then.

I've never used raised beds, just grow things the old way, in the ground, but I dont think you will get rid of couch grass by burying it , its shoots will go through most things.

Not tried no dig either, but piling manure on top of couch grass will just make it grow better.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Like Like x 2
        • Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,960
          Hi @lazy-gardener as others have said please don't give up just yet. I took over half a plot in October. Having only ever gardened at home and no experience of growing vegetables. It hadn't been worked for years. Usually I go hung ho at things but soon realized it was going to be a long term project so had to slow down. It's full of couch grass too. I've covered half of my plot and deemed it unworkable until next year. The other half I have to keep turning over and hand removing the long roots. But each time I turn over the roots become less and less. If it was me I'd pick a section you can manage. Cover the rest. And just concentrate on that section no matter how small. Grow what you are going to eat and work on that. Otherwise it can be overwhelming. Many of my fellow allotment friends don't have raised beds and just direct sow and have always done it that way successfully. One thing that was a plus for me was as it hadn't been worked for years the soil was good so I didn't need to add anything to it so your off to a good start. It's hard work at the beginning but so worth it.

• Like Like x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
            Ratings:
            +774
            Couch grass is a very difficult one to get under control alright and I think you have made a great start in digging a lot of it out. Persistence is key to getting it seriously set back and I'd agree with digging it in sections to make the job more approachable. Another thing you could try in the first year on the plot to make the job easier is to grow some veg crops that are themselves fairly vigorous and will help you control whatever weeds sprout up. If you can get some manure then I would try some potato which are good strong growing plants if they are in fertile ground. They require earthing up around the stems to cover the forming potatoes but with the strong leaf growth and the digging between the rows they should help make the area much better for future crops. They might get blight so I'd try to start some brassicas (Kale being particularly good in my opinion) to replace the potato if they need to be harvested early and some of these can keep the ground covered over winter and garlic might be another one to plant in autumn. Also chard is a good winter crop if it is a bit later in the season before you have areas cleared for planting with the more usual spring sown crops.

Happy gardening!

• Like Like x 3
            • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +14,405
              Hello LG, don't despair! I'm with Snorky85 on the best, most permanent way to get rid of the couch grass. A shot of glyphosate (mixed from concentrate, not ready-to-use) will travel down and seriously stop it in it's tracks. It might take two goes to kill it off completely. The roots go down a very long way, so it will just keep coming back with the digging method.
              If you're not keen on growing veg in treated soil (which is understandable) you could construct your raised beds over the remains of the couch grass. Apart from carrots and parsnips, the roots aren't all that deep, so will be growing in the compost and won't be affected by the weedkiller.
              Incidentally, the manufacturers claim that glypho breaks down on contact with the soil to become harmless, even beneficial.
              Do you have any farms, riding schools or stables nearby? They're usually glad to get rid of FYM for free. It could be a good way of getting to know your allotment neighbours if you can ask them where they get theirs? :)

• Like Like x 4
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Fredas

Fredas Gardener

Ratings:
                +128
                Hey LG.

I bet it is very disheartening; especially when all you want to do is get your first veg crops in. Some great advice given here and I'd only add the following:

If you go down the no dig, with cardboard and compost consider just starting with a 1mx1m 'bed' as that would be enough to get some crops growing and should't be overly expensive to start.

With dig method. as the couch grass has shallow roots maybe look at digging a trench of about 5-6 inches deep around the area you are cultivating. That should help control the grass

Good luck and don't give up :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                • lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
                  +12
                  Thank you all for your encouragement. I think I was feeling particularly weary yesterday as I was watching with envy all the other plot holders lovely tilled soil.

I was going to do it in sections so I think I may weedkill one but cover it and leave it for a bit. I have gone over the same 5 x 3 ( ok 2.5 but makes me feel better to say 3) strip 4 times now and as you say each time there is less and less long tapering roots coming out . And there is someone with a horse and a field 2 minutes away. I have never seen a person there but know there must be manure as I can sometimes smell the wet straw. I might leave a note on the gate. They may be happy to get rid of some if only a bit.

I added up the hours and I think it’s been about 10 hours to get the one strip in a probably plantable state so only another xxx hours to go. Don’t think I will even work that one out as it will get me all depressed.

Again thanks for the advice . It’s nice to know that others have been there and won.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
                    +598
                    I have a section of garden deemed for veg, but digging it over is a challenge. I would have to do 10 minutes at a time due to health.
                    I also have a rat problem still 3rd time in 4 months, am trying to do it myself with over the counter poison, I use a trail cam to see what the beast is up to as it seems to walk passed the tray with poison, so have mixed in rhubarb jam as a sweetener, Sod’s law not been back since so does it know some thing about my jam making I don’t
                    Beast comes from a few houses away who have chickens

• Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
                      Ratings:
                      +2,381
                      It's a familiar situation with two stark choices. Snorky and noisette have a point.
                      It's either hand weed one section at a time and be proud of yourself.
                      Or be a complete swine like me and spray the whole lot with glyphosate.
                      You only need to do it for the first season and then revert to good honest harmony with nature. When i took on my allotment last May i just blitzed it and grew great veg within weeks, (it had couch grass, thistles, ground elder docks and bramble)
                      .. My freezer is still stocked with my runner beans (albeit radiated ones)
                      I'm a villan, but I'd do the same again with a rough plot. Supermarket veg has mostly been grown with a huge commercial spraying program with all kinds of jizz, so mine is always gonna be better than that. I only use organic fertiliser for starters:noidea:

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                        Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
                      • noisette47

Ratings:
                        +14,405
                        Um...IIRC, couch grass roots can go down as much as a metre. My attempts to eradicate it from the 'lawn' seem to bear this out.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                          Ratings:
                          +7,625
                          Weedkiller - that's the way to go - pelargonic acid - which is a natural product will kill green growth - so if you're organic this is the way to go.

If you are like me - and aren't concerned about organic gardenering - then glyphosate is the way to go - it will kill the entire weed.

My plot paths are covered with a layer of bark chippings - yes weeds do come through - but they are immediately blasted with weedkiller - so it's not too much work.

You just have to accept that you will never get rid of weeds enirely - all you can do is control them.

Although most people grow veg. on their plot - you can use it for whatever you want. So my plot is being used for flowers and a little fruit. The plot is where I will grow the flowers to a position where I can then plant them in my own garden.

Remember that when you have the raised beds in place - you will need access paths around each - so this cuts down on the area that you have to tend.

Chin up :smile: - have a look at my thread 'Got this 2 weeks ago' - I have been in the same position as you, twice - thanks to lock down. Have a look at the pic's - it can be done - take your time - enjoy your time down there..:smile:

The Allotment Committee will not be expecting you to bring the plot up to spec. immediately - just show that you are making steady progress and all will be fine :thumbsup:.

• Like Like x 3
                          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +86,077
                            I think that might depend on what the subsoil is, mine is solid clay about a foot down, and although some roots do penetrate into the clay they don't go very far in.

• Agree Agree x 2
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • noisette47

Ratings:
                              +14,405
                              We must have a more determined sort of couch grass over here....:roflol:

• Funny Funny x 5
                              • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
                                Ratings:
                                +2,381
                                Amongst the couch grass we had bindweed.
                                To dig that out you'd need to go down literally metres.
                                One spray of good systemic weedkiller and it's gone.
                                I'd do that at dusk on a sunny evening when all the insects have turned in for the night (apart from mozzies)
                                Once it's dried into the foliage it's no threat.
                                I've read reports about glyphosate 'build up' in the soil but that refers to mass commercial regular spray routines. Most veg in the shops have been grown that way..

• Like Like x 1