1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My lawn killed my mower! Any recommendations for a replacement please?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Barders, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Excellent :)

2. Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
    +153
    That's a great idea Kriste :blue thumb: Either side of my aren't really into gardening, so probably wouldn't do something like this on their own, but might if we could share the cost. I'll ask them, from over the fence of course :smile:

3. Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
    +153
    It's pretty lumpy @andrews, I have tripped a couple of times, and it's not pleasant to walk on. I think two years worth of worm casts probably isn't helping, some are them pretty big and rock-solid now. I should have done this last year (after the first winter in the house).

4. Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
    +153
    @Kristen WOW that looks like a beast! Thank you for the information, I think it's going to be hiring one, as I can't afford to spend money on something that's just going to dust the surface!

I don't know what a lute is, but will Google it, thank you :thumbsup:

Thank you @Liz the pot. I think I will give it a really good rake to try and get some of the casts broken down, then when the shops are open again hire a good one and fingers crossed it will do the trick.

Quick question about the worm casts please. How can I reduce the infact the casts are having on the grass when the worms go mad at the end of the year? Should I knock them down then? I don't want to hurt them?

Thank you everyone for your help, much appreciated.

5. andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    How big are your worms ? Ive never had a worm cast issue but this is maybe because of the dogs. They run about the garden probably tramping them down and my grass expectations are probably lower than most because of the dog traffic.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
      +153
      BIG! When I was turning over the borders last year, every fork turned up 5-6 at a time and they are quite fat and long. I can't remember if it was October/November, but you could hardly see the green of the grass there were so many earth casts. I didn't want to hurt them so just left the casts, now of course they are solid and trying to disperse them with the hand fork was almost impossible, so I gave up after a little patch. I am not complaining I know it is good to have them in the earth, but it is a bit of a pain with the lawn now :scratch:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Don't use one of these :)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
        +153