1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My New s/h GreenHouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by BFOSP, Dec 14, 2020.

1. BFOSP

BFOSP Gardener

Ratings:
    +88
    I have a patch of grass & a couple of shrubs that don't do a lot so this was going to become the runner bean patch.
    I also have a flower bed (rough description) that sits under the front window. Its deep
    So needs tall at the back down to short at the pavement.
    The list so far:-
    Runner bean - Scarlet Emperor (Veg Patch)
    Tomato - Ailsa Craig (Grow bag in greenhouse)

Trailing Lobelia - Monsoon (to go with geraniums in hanging baskets)

Lupin - Russell mix
    Antirrhinum - Madame Butterfly mix
    French Marigold - Red Brocade

Any suggestions ?

Paul G

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,206
      Hi,

The list of veg and flowers is endless, its really down to what suits you, trying different ones each year is part of the fun of gardening.

As for the flowers, you need to let us know what direction it faces as the amount of sun or shade, open or sheltered aspect can really affect the choice.

We grow Scarlet Emperor which gives a good reliable crop, and you might want to try Shirley as well as Ailsa Craig, even something like the bite size Tumbling Tom or similar can give good crops in the greenhouse or in an outside basket/pot or ground.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • BFOSP

BFOSP Gardener

Ratings:
        +88

I live on the top of a hill, a small hill as the Essex Suffolk border doesn't have proper hills, in a semi detached, front facing east. However, I get the raw deal as I face east, north and west. Next doors gets ESW.
        I will at some stage get round to a post about what can I have against a north wall.

Paul G

• Like Like x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,206
          Hi,

We have a north facing house wall thats almost 100% shade but it is still quiet colourful.

There are even books for Plants in Shade, but many common plants can be used , like Ferns and Ivy, Hardy Fuchsias, Begonias, Heucheras are some that we use.

Plenty more here for starters..
          https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/the-best-shade-loving-plants/

• Like Like x 1