1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My Rowan Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by wiseowl, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,600
    Thanks for your reply HarmonyArb. :)

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Bacterial ooze often shows as a black stain on the bark, sometimes foul smelling. Heavy bacterial ooze infections can be seen trickling from a wound. Such staining is not always a visible symptom of tree illness.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,359
      Well ive pruned out the branches that have shown die back to a leaf. Looks a bit "stumpy" but if my other Rowen is anything to go by, hopefully once the tree has become more established, it will bud up from those pruned points. May take a year or two to get back to what it was but i will give it a chance.
      If no better by the end of next year then out it comes and a Sambucus "Black Lace" planted in its place. Easy trouble free plant.

G

• Like Like x 2
      • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,359
        Just an update, i took out one Rowan today. Looked awful this year, and cutting the stem showed a rotten look, grey sick.
        I have another Sorbus "Autumn Spire" which i moved in winter. It leafed up but i had to cut one stem back a few weeks ago and this had the same look inside. I will wait to see how it goes but this may come out later this summer.
        The other Sorbus "Vilmorinii" looked back to years ago but this year looks a lot better. No major die back although the leaves look small. It flowered well this spring. Im hoping this will be ok.

Im convinced the wet clay of the garden is making it difficult for these to thrive, then they get susceptible to fungus, fireblight, canker and root rot.

G

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,359
          An update. All my Sorbus apart from Autumn Spire have gone. I destroyed them as they were sick. I moved Autumn to a dryer part of the garden and after 18 months looks fully restored.

Just shows you than conditions play a massive part.

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
          • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,830
            I agree with this; I've never had success with trying to grow Rowan on my clay.

• Like Like x 1