1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

My Waggie

Discussion in 'Trees' started by xf8u39, Aug 15, 2021.

1. xf8u39

xf8u39 Gardener

Mechanical Designer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,
    Please see attached image of my Waggie.

I planted it about 5 years ago and up until this year it doesn't seem to have grown an inch.

The mini heatwave that we had in early July appears to have benefitted it immensely.

It is about 4' tall at the minute and seems in good health and has shown signs of growth. It was just case of plant and forget.

Now, over the past 2 months due to lack of work, I have been working temporarily as an Amazon driver, delivering parcels to all areas of Manchester.

In doing so, I have had the opportunity to observe many, many different houses, gardens and their plants, shrubs and trees. I am talking Monkey Puzzle trees 60Ft tall, Palm trees and other interesting items that are giving me ideas for my new landscaping project, which I'll post later.

One particular house I called at had a really attractive palm tree about 20Ft tall. I noticed that most, if not all of the lower braches had been cut off. I'd say about 60/70% of the height of the tree.

My questions are: 1) Is this necessary on palm trees to stimulate growth?

And 2) Do I need to treat the tree with any kind of plant food/fertiliser?

Thanks in advance

Michael.

I

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Looks a nice plant, they can be slow in my experience.
    Its normal for the lower leaves to be removed as they die off, some remove them if they start to look tatty.
    You could try feeding with a general purpose fertiliser.
    You can buy specific fertilisers for palms if you want to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,541
      Do you mean Cordylines Michael? Like these below? The lower leaves tend to die off and drop as the trees mature.

222.JPG

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,046
        My Waggie has been much slower growing compared to my Trachycarpus fortunei. The T fortunei responds to being well watered in my experience, this year they didn't need any extra. I feed once or twice in Spring and Summer. I have the expensive Palm fertilizer, but forget to use it, instead I use MiracleGro.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,629
          A good point made by JWK, they seem to like a lot more water than is often suspected.
          They survive in dryer conditions but grow much faster with good watering.

• Agree Agree x 1