1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mypex vs Yuzet

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by intel, Sep 10, 2013.

1. intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
    +497
    Allotment is going great thanks, but I need to invest in some Weed Control Fabric,
    (to cover things up for the winter), everyone seems to rate Mypex as the best, but I have also seen Yuzet for sale at about £40 for 1.6m X 50m

BTW....I have seen Mypex for sale at about £50 for 2m X 50m

It this material ok or should I stick with Mypex?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yuzet-1-6...rden_Plants_Fertiliser_CV&hash=item43bf5f9412

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    So long as it is woven I buy the cheapest. 100gsm will last a long time, if you need it to, if not buy a thinner grade.

but why do you want to cover it for the winter? Letting the weather "at" the soil is a good thing, usually.

3. intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
    +497
    Hopefully I will have the allotment for years to come, so wanted something that
    would last a few years...............was speaking to one plot holder and he's Mypex
    is about 8 years old and although its a bit ragged at the edges, it still has
    a few years life left.

He was also saying that when you cut the material it's best run a hot flame
    along the edge that has been cut, which helps to seal where it's been cut.

Mainly to cover the areas that have been dug over to stop any more weeds
    appearing over the winter months.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I'd leave it open and let the frost at soil. If you have heavy soil I'd definitely leave it open, dunno about light land as I have no experience of that. Not many weeds will grow over winter, those that do will hoe off easily in spring. Put the fabric down them (over the weeds if they are small) as the black colour will heat up the soil. I would do that in March.

However, using woven weed suppressing fabric in Spring / Summer and planting through it a) keeps weeds down but b) keeps moisture in, so I think that is both labour saving and good for the plants. Bit of a pain to find the right piece, with the right hole spacing, the next year ... but that just requires organisation and tidiness (I don't work in that department!)

Heat treating cuts in the fabric will prevent them fraying, but I've not had much problem with that, but if you can be bothered I am sure that would be better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
      +497
      Don't think the wife would be to pleased, but a pair of Hair Straighteners run along
      the edge at slow speed, I guess would seal where it's been cut ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Soldering iron perhaps?

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,699
        I would leave the ground uncovered for winter, the Frosts freeze/thaw action breaks down heavy soil superbly and as Kristen said...any weeds from Winter can be hoed off in Spring. But I also grow winter green manure which helps keep weeds to a minimum and enriches the soil when you dig it in, in the Spring.

I dig it in after a couple of rainless days so the soil is not damp and sticky then cover it in black plastic sheet to warm the soil and stop it getting waterlogged again, when I'm ready to plant I whip the plastic off and either rotavate or lightly fork/rake over then plant.

Spring here in Cumbria can be very rainy so using the plastic allows me to plant when I want to not when the weather dictates that I can.

I do use mypex to cover any ground not in use in summer now though, previous to this season I have used old carpet to cover ground (not foam back) and it still covers a fair amount of walkways. But this will be phased out over this next Winter/Spring in favour of other methods...it was a temporary cheap ground cover solution and should not be overlooked for those looking for free ground cover.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          "Darling I need some mulch for the garden so you can now have those top quality Wilton carpets throughout the house that you so wanted ..." :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
            Ratings:
            +3,699
            lol....that would get you a look that would knock you over.

But second and third hand from skips, friends and neighbours will suffice if you cant buy new Wilton....

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
            • intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
              +497
              • Like Like x 1
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                I don't find that the pegs on their own are a problem (although those ones look skinny? and adding the washers will just be one more job to slow things down).

I buy Mypex wide enough that I can tuck the edges in with a spade, as I resent the price of the pegs. I just use them when I'm in a tricky corner, or Mypex is crossing Mypex, and I can't tuck the edges in with a spade.

WeedSupressingFabricSecuringEdges.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                • intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
                  +497
                  20140315_123103.jpg Thats a good idea, I used bricks on mine but it looks so unsightly.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,667
                  I stand in the middle (with Mypex all nicely lined up and Bristol-fashion like :) ) and then tuck in one side - my weight Er-Hem! prevents the Mypex being pulled off-centre.

Then I stand on the just-tucked-in-edge and do the other side. This does pull it, but only "taught" as my weight is preventing it being pulled out.

I find that I have to place the space on the edge and then pull it towards the middle and inch or two to "provide" slack which I then tuck in. You'll see how it works when you try it, I'm sure.

I have done it with a string where I want a straight line, as my preference is not to put bark etc. on top of it as I have found that putting anything on top provides a modicum of anchorage for germinating weeds, and if they grow on top once they get their roots through the membrane they are hard to get out ... but where the plants / hedge has grown up well (3 years say) and I then want it to look smart and less like a sea of plastic! I then put down bark as the plants provide shade and reduce the chances for weeds to grow at all. I have cut a line with spade, and string, first and then tuck Mypex edge into slit-trench, but its only necessary if you need it to be dead-straight.

• Like Like x 1
                  • intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
                    +497
                    Thanks Kristen, will give that a go this weekend :)

Going to buy some pegs, never used them before, might be a few quid wasted but at least you can form a opinion once you have tried them.

• intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
                    +497
                    Sorry Kristen,

I tried it this afternoon and I never had the same success, did you dig a trench and then fold
                    the Mypex into the ground and then refill the trench.........or did you put your spade say a foot from the edge of the material and then push down to bury it?

I favour the second method but was worried about cutting the Mypex with the spade :(