1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved mystery indoor plant

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by KFF, Mar 31, 2019.

1. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hello, my mom's been bought this today by my sister.

Can anyone help identify please. I've looked at hundreds of Orchids and can't find owt like it. The flowers ( about an inch and a half across but no " pouch " ) are all on top of an 18" stem which is very thin at the bottom and thick at the top and so isn't very stable. It's growing in a normal walled plant pot in compost.

20190331_120804.jpg

20190331_120812.jpg

20190331_120831.jpg

2. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,686
    Hi KFF, it's a Dendrobium (here in white)

It's a great plant, always looking lush and exotic and flowers easily and for long periods of time. The stems are top heavy so the plant can topple over unless it's in a heavy pot.

It doesn't have those fat aerial roots which need light, but more "normal" fibrous roots so might do perfectly well in an ordinary pot. Mine is in transparent pot in orchid mix though. Next time I repot it I'll add pebbles in the mix to weigh it down a bit. The stems snap when the plant falls :mad:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Thanks @Selleri , some great information there. It should be alright in her bathroom window then.