1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

N Yorks Garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PeterS, Mar 22, 2005.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Sept 2003

[​IMG]

I've found some old pictures. I had little interest in gardening originally, but I decided to dig out a scrappy hedge and replace it with the fence on the left. But the more I dug up the more I realised the rest of the garden was rubbish - so I dug the whole lot up! In retrospect, this was the best thing I could have done, as it found me a new hobby. And in many ways it is easier to make a garden from scratch than to adapt an existing one.

July 2003

[​IMG]

After reading a bit, I decided on perennials as being low maintenance - well I thought it would be low. So I bought 24 packets of seeds that turned into over 700 plants. Then I discovered impulse buying! Nearly all the seeds were first year flowering, so there was a good show later on in the first year.

Part of the fun of gardening is that everything evolves. There was no master plan. The trellises were attached to wood reclaimed from an old shed. I bought the pots, before I had any ideas of what to do with them. Even the 'artistic' stones are only there because I dug them up when digging foundations for the patio and small walls, and was too lazy to take them to the corporation tip.

Sept 2004

[​IMG]

I love all the flowers, but I also love the summerhouse ( Walton Conniston) which faces almost due south. Even in February I can sit in the warm (as long as the sun is out). It has a complete glass front and doubles as a semi greenhouse. And of course looking out onto a wall of flowers is just so relaxing.

In such a small garden I have tried to concentrate on long flowering perennials, and am still looking for better and longer flowering ones. I think I should widen this to include half hardy ones too such as Argyranthemums and Osteopermums. Any suggestions?

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know about suggestions...looks brilliant to me! [​IMG]

Been thinking of a summer house myself, did it go up ok? no problems?

Steve

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Steve

No problems. Its definately a two man job, even if one person only holds a panel upright. I suspect that the key is getting a good level base. If the base is not true you could have problems.

It is well worth connecting mains electricity. I have internal lights, a radio, patio lights etc.

[ March 22, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: PeterS ]

4. turl

turl Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ;) Hi PeterS
    i nearly fell of mi cheer mi eyes popped out of my head then fellow.I would love to have the space you have there m8, you have used that space perfectly. I was shocked with the transformation in the second pic and loved it until i seen pic 3 m8 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Just my taste, loverly cottage feel to it. Do you have a pond fellow?

5. Gardener

Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a fabulous transformation.

6. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
  7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    Alright Nathan, whats with the green turtle :cool:

8. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    It's Turl's green turtle .... His link was doesn't work as it's pasted as a signature (I think??) .

Nathan

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    There's a bit of a problem with the pictures. Glad i'm not the only one who dont know what he's doing.
    ;)

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Turl

Thanks for the comments. I love your turtle.

[​IMG]

No I didn't have a pond, but I did try to include a small square pebble fountain. I built it into the small walls in the bottom left corner of this picture, which is the patio area on the far side of the other pics. I got it wrong, it was too small and the plants grew over it. I am going to have to convert it back into a built in container, and make do with a tape of babbling water.

Peter S

11. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Peter,

Looks like you had a LOT of work in the beginning !!

End result is worth it though. Puts most of the make-over shows to shame.

Nathan.

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    Dont mention makeover shows Nathan. [​IMG]
    Looks nice Peter S, lots of plants.

[ March 26, 2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]

13. turl

turl Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL thanks Nathan
    i did try and use mi turtle as a sig but it wasnt having it at all :(
    its not at all easy to post on this site as it is on others. I have many quality avatars if anyone wants any, but i think mi turtles to big :(

14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Such lovely garden pictures - and the turtle is the icing on the cake - what a hoot. I am envious of the skills of the uploaders.