1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Name that tune

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Freddy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi folks. Last night I watched a program called Paradise Gardens presented by the 'man' himself, Geoff Hamilton. Towards the end of the show, there was a piece of classical music. Having seen the series before, I'm pretty sure this piece is used several times. It sounds a little like something that Holst would have done. Any ideas ? Cheers...freddy.

2. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I never saw the programme but wonder whether it might have been "The walk to the Paradise Garden" from "A village Romeo and Juliet" by Delius. I'm sure you can find a sound-clip of it on the web somewhere to check as it's one of Delius' best-known pieces. Incidentally, the "Paradise Gardens" of the opera is an inn...nothing to do with horticulture!

PS Try searching "Paradise Garden Delius" on You Tube and you'll get several results.

3. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi Jack. Thanks for the reply. That's not the tune from the show, but you're on the right track. Cheers...freddy.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: What channel was it on Freddy as they all have web sites.. You could go to the site & ask there as that info is usually in the credits etc or they will be able to tell you I would think....

5. Jack by the hedge

Ratings:
    +0
    If it sounds a bit like it, it might be something else by Delius. "In a summer garden" or "On hearing the first cuckoo in spring" perhaps?

If you log in to the "Naxos" records site you can hear them (or 25% of each of them if you don't want a paid subscription!). Summer Garden is on orchestral works vol.2, and "cuckoo" on vol.4 of the complete recordings by Beecham.

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,902
    Hi Freddy I have most of Geoff Hamilton's Videos and DVD,s here,s a DVD set that might interest You:) Has,nt helped with the Music though:scratch::) buts its only £13 58p at Amazons 40th annerversary set:)
    Might be this one?
    Sir Arnold Bax

I only: TOD 0001; excerpt from ‘In the Forest before Dawn’ on video of Geoff Hamilton(the paradise Gardens-The Secret Corner)

[​IMG]

7. Jack by the hedge

Ratings:
    +0
    No need for me to answer the favourite music thread as some of my favourite composers are being discussed here.
    "In the forest before dawn" comes from a longer work by Bax called "Spring Fire"...it was recorded on Chandos records but their website doesn't seem to feature a free clip of it. Unfortunately I only have it on LP so can't attempt to download a track from a cd to send to you (even if I could find out how to do it!) by email Freddy.

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
  9. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    ? Whatever this music is - it's lovely

10. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Marley, it's being shown on UKTV Gardens at the moment, but I've searched their website and nothing doing. Jack, "In a summer garden" or "On hearing the first cuckoo in spring" it's not those either. I am however trying to check out this Bax fella :) Claire, I checked out Symbiosis (although it does say on the program that it's the opening tune) and was only able to find a few clips, and those didn't sound much like this music. However, if Bax is a non-starter, I'll have to look a little deeper into Symbiosis. Thanks for all your replies folks, appreciated :thumb: Cheers...freddy.

11. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thmb: My friend is on the same case as you I just found out Freddy, so if I hear anything I will let you know... :wink::D

12. Jack by the hedge

Ratings:
    +0
  13. Jack by the hedge

Ratings:
    +0
    If you managed to find the Naxos site, they've recorded a lot of Bax, but not Spring Fire.
    The site does feature "The Garden of Fand" (which is actually the sea), though, and it's a possibility. The excerpt you can hear, though, doesn't include the "big tune" at the heart of the work.

14. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Ok folks, sorted :thumb: It IS in fact Spring Fire by Bax. Never heard of him myself, but I love the flute at the start of the piece. Elgar, heard of him though :) Thanks folks :thumb:

15. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Glad you've found it Freddy :thumb:

Here are a few samples of the music.

Which of these is the one you have been looking for? - just interested :D