1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

National Trust vs English Heritage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Apr 28, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Evening all.

I'm not sure what's happening to me. I drive a Volvo estate, I wear a green weatherproof coat, I have a beard, and I increasingly find myself visiting castles and country estates and posh gardens.

It used to be that every once in a while we'd visit such places, seldom enough that it was more cost effective to just pay for a day ticket on site. Now I'm thinking it might be worth getting family membership of one or the other.

I'm not sure I want to fork out for both. If you had to choose just one or the other, which would you choose?

• Like Like x 1
    • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      it would depend on how far everything is to make the best use off that would be my first thought. Get a map decide how far you are prepared to travel and then draw a circle see what you have available , I use that when buying a house.

I find Country houses boring and much prefer the gardens which are full of life not like a old house which looks just full of times gone by , I look at it as everything thing has its day even houses.

Spruce

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,044
        Never joined either so cant help, but just to pick up on what Spruce said.

I tend to wonder how they decide on what era in time to freeze the buildings and gardens in.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,622
          Good god! Is that what happens next? I am still at the stage where I am perplexed as to what is going to happen to me that requires additional ear, nose and eyebrow hair to cope with it!

Please tell me that your symptoms didn't start until at least over the age of 50? :stirpot:

• Funny Funny x 4
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Having worked on a lot of both EH & NT sites & properties, I chose NT above EH for the following reasons.

NT properties usually have working Gardens, they are family orientated and have regular events/themes.

There are lots of NT car parks around the coast that I can now use for free, there's 3 along a short stretch of the Dorset coast that I use and I did save on parking in Devon and Cornwall too.

NT do a single parent family membership:dbgrtmb:

EH would be fine for me, but the kids would find the sites a bit boring, EH look after the buildings but the gardens are just usually strimmed grass.

[​IMG]

English Heritage (Muchelney Abbey)

[​IMG]

National Trust (Tintinhull)

More than saved the subscription fee this year alone already.

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +865
              What my parents (and I've discovered, several of my neighbours) did/do is ..... have a look at who 'owns' which property (these days you can Google it), then decide which of those you might visit in the coming year and then in Year 1, for example, join the NT and in Year 2 swap to EH.

The thing I've found with both organisations is that, whilst their list of properties and gardens are undoubtedly impressive, they're often widely spread out and there are few that I'd want to visit more than once so, unless I'm prepared to travel miles and miles (an expense in itself), I'd go, initially, for whichever of the two offers the most in your area.

On a purely personal level, I can't actually stand NT properties mainly because of the staff (usually the blue-rinse, twinset and pearls brigade) who I find, are often officious and frequently down-right rude - but that's just me.

• Like Like x 1
              • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +2,986
                As far as we are concerned when you have seen one Victorian/Edwardian interior you have seen them all, so we rarely go inside the NT houses. Agree with Fidget's Mum about the staff at some of the houses.
                However we live close to three fantastic NT trust gardens which we visit at least once a month for much of the year. (Plus others where we go less frequently). We reckon that after 4 visits to Bodnant gardens everywhere else is free (Pensioner's ticket).
                So do the Maths.

• Like Like x 1
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  When you go into Dunster Castle, the lady on the desk always points behind you and tells you to start the tour down the bottom.

Last week I pointed the other way & told her we want to go that way:snork: She was quite shocked.

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,508
                    If you also have a checked shirt then you're a lost case!! :sad: :heehee:

We chose NT (many years ago) and have life membership which has paid for itself many times over.

Like most comments on here, I can take or leave the buildings alone but the gardens are always worth visiting. Also, as Zigs said, the use of car parks can pay for the membership on its own. In the Lake District they have over 20 car parks, almost 50 in Devon and almost 70 in Cornwall!!! We're not far from Hatfield Forest and go walking there a couple of times a month - which must save quite a bit.

So, just as a car parking ticket it may still be worth it even if you're going to visit a lot of places that may not be NT properties.

• Like Like x 1
                    • clueless1

Ratings:
                      +19,596
                      Thanks all.

I'm probably leaning towards National Trust, but I'll research who looks after what before I finalise my decision.

I'm not too bothered about looking round the inside of old stately homes. Its more gardens and castle ruins that we like. The lad loves running about exploring all the nooks and crannies of old ruins, and I must admit I do too. Wife just likes walking around somewhere scenic.

We went to Mount Grace Priory yesterday for example:
                      http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/mount-grace-priory/

Which is an English Heritage site. It was good, there were lots of nooks and crannies to explore.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        Our daughter loved scrambling around English Heritage ruins, but found more preserved National Trust stuff boring (and still does).

And you can use Tesco Clubcard Points to buy English Heritage membership http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=385

Having said that, Corfe Castle used to be one of her favourites to visit which used to be NT, although in those days when we visited Tesco Clubcard Vouchers could be used at 4x cost against entry charges, sadly no longer the case.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          How did I know you were going to mention Clubcard points before I clicked on this:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
                          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                            +28,997
                            Cos, since buying a new greenhouse and renewing our RAC membership last year, I've still got all these points!

tesco points.png

And that's just on one of our three accounts, so we're well on the way to another full week's canal boat holiday for next year as there should be 3 more mailings of points this year.

• Like Like x 3
                            • clueless1

Ratings:
                              +19,596
                              How much do you have to spend at Tesco to earn that little lot Scrungee?