Need help identifying these plants in my garden (Draft Thread)

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Earthman, May 11, 2008.

1. Earthman

Earthman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha, I thought it was just another thorny weed with unusually sweet flowers, that I might have to get rid of. A rose would make sense, but it's not really that pretty looking IMO.

I should point out at this stage, that although that photo was taken in the morning, I've had a huge cutback/pruning session in the garden where I've employed a shredder, and so far have ended up with 5 near full, plastic rubble bags of the shredded garden material, that I wish to use as compost. Is that a lot to collect from the garden at one collection? This continues with a new post in the composting forum of the site.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    As a recent returner to this site I have read this thread with interest. Congratulations to the members who have identified the multiple identification of plant pictures posted in respect of what is clearly mature garden - you should give yourself a pat on the back. Earthman, I would fully support Pete's post that it would have been more useful to post 5 pictures at a time so as not not confuse.

I shall read with interest the thread on composting after your pruning and cutback session..

3. Earthman

Earthman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Although this thread has now mostly outdone itself, I think I can make a correction on one of the identifications.

What people thought was Japanese Anemone is actually Blackcurrant! I mean I don't know if Anemone has similar berries, I could be wrong, but they taste and smell like blackcurrants:D

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow thats a first. Blackcurrants in fruit in June in London - I would dearly love a picture of this. I would suggest that you contact Kew - they may be very interested in a plant fruiting so early.

5. Earthman

Earthman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Errrr, Ok I lied a little here, lol. The fruit hasn't ripened yet but the leaves smell of it, apparently.( A mate of mine said he recognised it). There are the berries, that's what I will say. Anyway, on to my composting post...

6. Earthman

Earthman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could my Climbing Rose bush be a Dog Rose?

[​IMG]

I've read the species' flowers can vary to a white colour which mine are. I have not however seen any red rose hips on the bush, as of yet. Maybe due to it being Summer or me not looking in the past.

Or maybe it's Rosa Multiflora?

7. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Wow Earthman some amazing plants there. What are your plans for the garden? You could end up witha real tropical paradise with the established bananas (Dont think anyone put a final name on it, but its only likely to be Musa Basjoo), Cordyline etc.

Stunning garden to start with!!

8. Earthman

Earthman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gaz, my plans for the garden are well, pretty sketchy. But at the moment it's removing certain plants and preparing the soil for a fresh start.

Recently, I prepared an area of the garden, where I've now placed 450L a composter. 12 bags of shredded garden waste went into it, it's shrunk quite a bit, but I think it's all the 'green' waste that's shrunk. The pile is a light brown and looks a little dry, even though I've dumped nearly a bucket of water into it recently. It must be moist further down the pile. I don't think I should need on watering it, but I'm not an expert. Trial and Error I think is the way.

Some of the plants I want to remove are three 'ground palms'. One's actually in bloom with great white spiralling flowers. Gorgeous, but they're not really plants I want. A little boring and (painful:) for me. Plus, I like the idea of a deciduous garden - Leafmold/mulch keeping the soil's moisture in, and allowing soil fauna to flourish. These Palms though would be dug up carefully and given to a relative who would pot them for themselves. So, they would be saved.

I'd like to keep my garden a little shady, but not on the scale a huge tree in the middle. The Banana and Palm trees are fine for the moment, but I'm still a little undecided whether to keep them or try and get someone to take them. Btw, I haven't been successful in getting any bananas to fruit. I'd be losing my affection for it, if that happened every year.

I also need to get rid of some Ivy, before it starts to flourish. I'm a little shocked to see how it can travel from the wall through the soil across towards the centre of the garden. (Very greedy Ivy!) I'm going to make sure I get well rid of it! No mercy shall be given.

As well as needing to remove Ivy, I've removed many weeds from an area at the back of the garden where I used to have a Greenhouse. Hopefully seeds have not migrated to other areas, but who knows.

I also may get rid of that Tee Tree and the Euphorbia. They're not THAT pretty. The Tee Tree always looks dry and the Euphorbia is dull and poisonous. I may get rid of the Oleander later, because of the poison factor, but not for the moment. Its pruned back quite a lot.

Later on, after the council has removed my 20+ biosacks worth of remaining garden waste I may be looking at removing that rambling rose, maybe not. Again it's pruned back quite a lot. And possibly some thorny branched tree (need to get photo up to get it identified first).

But my future plans are to plant colourful & fragrant plants. Things like Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Clematis, Evening Primrose, Borage, Delphiniums, Sweet Peas, Lupins, Lemon Balm, Mint, Heather, Lavender! Have I missed anything? Maybe Nicotiana, or unusual plants like Cotton and Coca and Comfrey (for my compost).

It's going to be fun!

9. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Sounds like you have some major plans ahead then, hard work but as you say fun at the same time :)