1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help please

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Bianca B, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Bianca B

Bianca B Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

We recently moved into our new house and bought new turf for our back garden. After 2 weeks we had some weed coming out so we wanted to kill it and we used Resolva weedkiller 24H RTU. See atache photo with my turf and that weedkiller that I've used. That stuff killed our grass as well and it looks so ugly now our turf. My question is what we can get rid of this dry grass ? How can we make it look green again ?
    Thank you very much.
    Bianca

20190704_105215.jpg 20190704_105232.jpg 20190704_105027.jpg 20190704_105007.jpg

2. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    Hi @Bianca B and welcome! Unfortunately most weedkillers will kill everything - they don't know what you decide a weed is. If you want to clear things like dandelions from your lawn, you can use a 'selective weedkiller' that kills broadleafed weeds but not grass. However for new turf, the simplest way is to just dig out the root with an old kitchen knife - you shouldn't have many weeds at present! As for the dead grass, provided the weedkiller is not a persistent one (ie that sits in the soil ready to kill other things) you can either reseed the area or cut out the region and replace by a new turf from a garden centre, and water it well repeatedly till it settles in.
    I don't know which Resolva you have used. If the pack says 'suitable for drives, paths ' then it will probably be persistent in the soil. Have a good read on the back (I can't make it out on the pictures)

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    There are specific lawn weedkillers BiancaB :) As CarolineL said, you have used a total weedkiller.
    I would scratch out those areas now and I would soak them. Then reseed and cover with soil or mpc. Keep moist.
    Luckily you didn’t use a path weedkiller cos that is persistent :sad:
    Give it 2 or 3 weeks and you should have those gaps green again :)

4. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    They really need to work on their packaging. I’ve seen this a few times and it’s not easy if you don’t know about treatments and chemicals.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Bianca. Exactly how was the advert for your turf set out? Did it at any point claim to be...weed free. If so your claim is against the supplier. Word from the wise. You may have invalidated any warranty by using chemicals. Best wishes.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      new lawns are no match for weed killers since they do not have the same defenses as older grass. I was told by a gardener that Allow new grass at least three months before applying a weed killer treatment to the lawn. In that time, the new grass will have more established roots, will have undergone a few mowings and its blades will be thicker and greener also he mentioned

the best methods of treating a new lawn with weed killer is to apply it in a few light applications than to apply it in one heavily concentrated application. The weeds may respond to a light treatment, and then following it up with one or more treatments may rid the lawn of weeds without stressing the new grass.

So as verdan said now scratch out those dead areas and water well . Then reseed the patches and cover with soil or mpc. Keep moist.

Give it 2 or 3 weeks and you should have those gaps green again but stay away from using chemicals that even say if you use this in 1 week or so green grass few of my freinds found they do more harm than good you cant go wrong with using natural grass seed

• Like Like x 1