1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with Bougainvillea

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Black Orchid, Aug 4, 2020.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    OK point taken @Redwing :smile:
    I think the houseplant market has joined the throwaway society, lots that you buy you are not expected to grow on.
    Chrysanths are probably one of the oldies, but there are quite a few flowering plants sold as house plants that most people discard after flowering.
    I wonder how many orchids go on to live a happy life?

Yes, but some of us try, I never really think of myself as a gardener, my garden is pretty rough, nearly as rough as Monty Donn's overgrown mess.:biggrin:

My place is mostly just a collection of plants, and not so much these days, but it used to be mostly experimental, what can I get away with, even though I dont have the right climate.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,311
      I had a conservatory in UK, kept just frost free, don't have that luxury now! Bougies, citrus, Hymenosporum and Plumeria all huddle under the tiled roof with a sheet of plastic in front of them . I would think that success with overwintering tender plants and specifically, getting them to flower, is down to sunlight hours and length of growing season. So Manchester might be more of a challenge than, say, Kent.
      Brits perhaps don't realise how lucky they are to have such a huge range of reasonably-priced plants to play with. What is lacking is good, accurate information on conditions required and aftercare. But then the shops are in business to make money.....
      @pete.....houseplants have always been considered 'throwaway' here Given the eye-watering prices, like French choccies, they've got more money than sense!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,694
        Just looking at a small cutting of boogie I planted against a fence on the allotment last year.
        Just another of my experiments :biggrin:,it survived last winter in a leafless state.
        It's main problem at the moment is, believe it or not, it's too dry, so started watering it a couple of weeks ago.
        It's actually showing flower buds.

• Like Like x 3
        • luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
          Ratings:
          +125
          Enjoy the flowers when the buds open.

• Like Like x 1