1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help I'm sick of my lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Wayne221088, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Wayne221088

Wayne221088 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been struggling with my lawn it was new seed last year and I got it really nice and green but with all the rain this winter and the dog going on it it's gone very thin and patchy and I've got a lot of broad leaves just popping up what can I do?

Attached Files:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hello and welcome. I wouldn't be too worried just yet. Its still early in the year and new seed from last year wont have built up all its strength yet.

Does it drain ok when it rains, or do puddles form and stay for ages? I guess it depends a lot on where in the country you are because, for example, up here it was just a fairly ordinary winter while down in the south west was more like Atlantis, and that's going to affect everything.

Personally, I'd chuck some more grass seed over the existing lawn. The grass that's already there will thicken up as it develops strength through the spring, but the extra seed will just help if there are patches that remain sparse.

As for the weeds, while there are only a few, I'd tackle them with a large flat blade screwdriver. Just shove it into the ground close to but not through the base of the dandelion, pushing it in and a steep angle (ie not quite directly straight down) such that the blade pierces the tap root just below the surface, then lever it out, and the bulk of the weed will come out in one go. This works well for dandelions and docks, which both have long tap roots.

It will leave a bare patch where the leaves have blocked out the light and stopped the young grass underneath from growing, but a sprinkling of grass seed will have the grass back before the massively weakened weed has chance to find its way back up from its damaged root.

If your mower has adjustable cutting height, I'd keep it on the highest setting for the next few weeks, but still mow regularly. Mowing encourages the grass to thicken up while weakening any new weeds that come through. I'd personally also give it a good feed with something like MiracleGrow. Don't be tempted to buy the 3 in 1 weed, feed and moss killer things. Apart from being a lot more expensive than the ought to be given their limited effect, I think some of the chemicals might be a bit harsh for very young grass.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Give it a feed, will soon pick up I think most of the UK looks the same.

4. Wayne221088

Wayne221088 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I think my broad leaves are Daisy's I'm over run with them I'll grab some mirical grow tomorrow