1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some lawn advise

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Richardson21, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Richardson21

Richardson21 Apprentice Gardener

Bumb
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just taken on a new client this morning and wow there lawn is terrible, it was about 3 – 4 ft high in some places, I have managed to cut the lawn but I don’t know where to go from there :/ completely stuck lol :/

I have asked my clients permission if I can put pics up and they are fine with that. I am basically looking for some advice on where to start because I am bamboozled :P

[​IMG]

This is a picture looking up the garden from the house as you can see it's a bit of a mess!, where the smoke tree is there is a huge drop, and the client wants the glass house taking down and relocating and there is a chicken run behind what she also wants relocating . there is also alot of tree stumps which need removing :/

[​IMG]

to the right of the garden retaining wall which needs finishing!

[​IMG]

Was an old gravel pile here

[​IMG]

where pots where sitting

[​IMG]

around this area loads of brambles ivy etc big drop.

any help would be great

Regards
    Jack

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I do lots of gardens like that .... I often get calls from people who's lawns are knee high

this is what I do and suggest:

mow the lawn for 3 weeks (once a week), then, scarify and aerate, and seed the bare patches, or if the client approves, overseed the whole lawn and cover with a thin 2mm of topsoil

then add some Scotts lawn builder (or similar) and apply 35 grams per square meter....

don't mow for a few weeks after applying the fertilizer, and ensure that if it does not rain, a sprinkler is used

wait till the new seed has established and is approx 5 inches high, then mow the top 2 inches off

if it does not look too bad, wait till autumn, then overseed, aerate and scarify ... if you do seed, get a decent bag of seed, and not the cheap B&Q stuff .... this is the seed I used a few weeks ago:
    http://www.thegrassseedstore.co.uk/1000-quality-hardwearing-lawn-p-447.html

if the garden is in deep shade, this is a good one:
    http://www.bshamenity.com/product-detail.php?product=a6_(supra_shade)

I seeded a bare batch of approx 100 square meters less than 2 weeks ago .... the lawn is already approx 1 1/2-2 inches tall

I saw a new client yesterday who has just moved into a home that she bought .... I will be sorting the lawn and landscaping the garden (it's a small garden) .... this is what it looks like as of yesterday .... I will start working on it on wednesday:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1