1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to correctly prepare garden to lay a new lawn

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Anthony321, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Anthony321

Anthony321 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi everyone!

Great to see the site is back! Great work thanks. I'm getting some very good advice from this forum.

I need some advice on laying a lawn on this garden. Below is a picture of where I've got so far, I've got about 2-3 lines of trenches left to double dig on the left. I've encountered a lot of stones in the soil, around the centre area which I've marked with a red boundary. I've put a lot of the stones into the ditches of the trenches I've dug and I'll remove the rest off the surface once I finish off the double dig this weekend. I doubt this red area is a good base for a new lawn.

garden 21-3-2014.JPG

My question is outside the red boundary there's a lot of good dark soil from compost bags laid before, as I want the area in the red box to be a good fertile base for a new lawn which I'm going to buy in rolls, what is a suitable compost or soil I can get to put over the red area which will give the lawn the best fertile base for years to come.

....Over to the Experts, cheers for all advice

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    A good topsoil is what you need Anthony or a mix of that and compost. I bought Levingtons multi purpose compost last year that I used for mulching, it's quite a chunky mix and not as fine as you would use for potting but would be ideal for under a lawn. :)