1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Needs revival

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Emily Jones, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
    +224
    This is a pic of a tree I've inherited on my patch. I'm lead to believe its a wild cherry tree, but please please correct me if I'm wrong. It's seen all of one, singular cherry like fruit this year and whilst I'd say 85% of the tree looks healthy..the odd leaves look as attached..It's middle of my patch so should be the centre of attention. I'm feeling a bit sad for it :frown::scratch: what is it and how do I revive please??

20200729_164338.jpg 20200729_164347.jpg

2. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    @Emily Jones
    I have a cooking cherry and last year I had 1 single cherry so I feel your pain. It started to look a bit tatty with the odd leaf looking rough. I cut it back by a third and gave it fish blood and bone watered in very well and its grown like mad but Ill have to wait till next year for fruit.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,064
      If it's a wild cherry don't expect decent fruit, they are usually small and basically bird food.
      It could be a decent variety though, not easy to tell until you get fruit.

Just guessing but I think it probably had an aphid attack earlier in the year.
      I don't think you can do much about it now. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
        +224
        Oh great, i'll try the same and keep my fingers crossed! It would be lovely to see it flourish :spinning:

• Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
        +224
        Oh dear. I'll keep you posted on its progress. I had an aphid attack on the runners this year so it could well be. I'm going to give it a good prune in the autmun and see how we get on. Keep everything crossed for me :biggrin:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,064
        Prune at your peril:biggrin:
        Pruning will produce lots of leafy growth next year.
        Leave well alone and you should get more blossom/ fruit.

• Useful Useful x 1