1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Neighbour cutting down tree - Need help/advice please

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by V8S, May 14, 2020.

1. V8S

V8S Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone, hope you're all keeping safe. I'm in dire need of help please.

I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. There is a tree on the border of mine and my neighbour's garden. We are both council tenants, and according to registry this tree is part of my neighbour's land. However, an elderly woman used to live at that address, whose garden we would tend for her. Her garden was fenced off before the tree. Since the new tenants moved in about three years ago they have not extended their garden.

Adding further to the importance of this tree is that 13 years ago my mother committed suicide in it, so needless to say we have many emotional ties to it. For 25 years we have tended to the tree and the land around it.

Today, the neighbours, of who we have had many disputes with were asking a worksman to extend their garden and cut it down, despite us previously requesting it to remain. I believe that as we have tended to it and the land for over two decades we are therefore entitled to claim the land as our own? Or, can anyone provide any advice on how we can prevent our neighbours from cutting it down.

Thanks

2. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,974
    You can ask for a TPO (tree preservation order) to be put on it. This can usually be done immediately and then I think there is a 6 month process to secure the TPO on it. (I think that is what I read at our local council). I'd ring your council ASAP and speak to the department who deals with TPOs (I think it is a department linked to planning). Hope that helps. x

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      Not sure about the law, but if it is actually in their garden, albeit fenced off, and it has no preservation order I would doubt you can do much about them having it cut down.

As you are both council tenants maybe you should have a word with the council?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • V8S

V8S Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        That's great to know, thank you.

I'm going to give them a ring in the morning, however the council are aware of this issue and we previously appealed against it being cut down which was granted. I'm just unsure whether the Adverse property law applies to this situation.

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I think you might find that a tenant acquires possessory title for its landlord (who already owns the adjoining land).

For a claim for Adverse Possesion to succeed, the land must have been used without permission, for example as a trespasser. Such behaviour is probably a breach of your Tenancy Agreement.

• Agree Agree x 1
            Last edited: May 15, 2020
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +21,808
            Presumably as a council tenant the gardens and houses belong to the council. With private landlords you require explicit permission for this sort of thing, so definitely call the council on it. Adverse possession really can't apply here as you're tenants and both pieces of land (yours and your neighbours) belong to the council.
            Definitely, the TPO call was a great idea.

• Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,974
            Hi @V8S
            Just wondering how you got on with the council? Any success?

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            If the Council that owns the property is the same as the Local Planning Authority, then I was told many years ago that a Council could not make a TPO on their own trees. That may have been made up as an excuse not to do anything, or it could well be correct as I was directly informed of that by their Head of Legal Services.

• Informative Informative x 1
              Last edited: May 18, 2020
            • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
              Ratings:
              +10,974
              Hmm, sounds like it may have been someone giving you an excuse. I was told by the Council that anyone can request a TPO whether it is their own land or not. But whether there is something specific regarding council trees then I dont know-but it would be quite odd.