1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Neighbours roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by mazambo, Jul 7, 2019.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hi everyone, my neighbour has asked me to water her garden while she is away for a week, I've been round today and noticed all her roses(which are in pots) have the crown at least 3" above soil level, I'm thinking it's best to tell her(in a nice way of course), named roses, breath of life, trumpeter and dreaming spires.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Yes by all means mention this to your neighbour. This area of concern often creeps into talks etc of Rosarians. Browsing variouse planting guidlines for roses, there often is a difference of opinion. This usually comes to lite with out-door planting, planting in the garden.
      There are obviously various concepts here. Perhaps most logically is, to plant the rose with the crown or better described term, the graft or budded sight, just below the surface.

This has perhaps the valid explanation that. At this point where the graft/budding is and is so close to the root formation, that for reasons of stability, the closer to the soil of the branching growth, the better and if you carry out even a diagrametical sketch on paper, this makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,886
        Good morning @mazambo my friend I am in favour of the graft just below the soil(about an inch),it makes the Rose more stable and prevents wind Rock and protects the graft against frost damage also IMHO it prevents Rose suckers coming from the graft as it prevents the air which the suckers need to grow,,but not all Rosarian would agree with me, if it were me ,I would perhaps respectfully suggest this to your nieghbour and just add some more soil :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
        • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,765
          I would just do as asked for now..Water them...that's all was asked from you. then mention it to her when she gets back and let her decide what to do. I wouldn't go managing the situation yourself for the time being at least.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,206
            Oh yes, only do what they requested, anything else, though you feel sure its the right thing to do or say, can cause all sorts of problems if they take it the wrong way, as we have found out to our cost !

Trouble is, in their eyes, its your fault either way :frown:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
              +3,718
              Thanks everyone, we get on really well so a couple of days after she gets back I'll just mention her pots could do with a top up.

• Like Like x 3
              • ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
                Ratings:
                +1,016
                If it was me I would want somebody to tell me that I could perhaps do something differently or I was doing something wrong. As she has trusted you with her plants you must be kinda buddies so she shouldn't take offence. Id probably say something like..... ooo do you know Ive found that by doing it this way I get many more flowers...…….or something along those lines.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
                  +3,718
                  My neighbour was back from her hols yesterday bearing gifts, probably mention the pots over the weekend, 20190712_204657.jpg probably put the biscuits up for my wife's birthday in November :lunapic 130165696578242 5: