Neudorff plus glysophate?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Mervyn Wilmington, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Mervyn Wilmington

Mervyn Wilmington Experienced Gardener

Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for that John. But I have both! They are fine for general weed use, except not when working among other plants. The smaller one is less risky! However, it takes more time of application that might be expected.

Perhaps I should explain that part from age - 76 this month - I have difficult health issues, including major breathing problems. I've had to resort to mechanisation and chemicals so far as reasonably possibly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      For annual weeds, esp in veg patch, the hoe is king. Pulling them up by hand too. I wouldn't want to use any weedkiller on annual weeds Mervyn. In autumn weeds are hoed off and buried :)

We crossed over there Mervyn and read about your limited abilities but a long handled hoe, would that be too difficult?

• Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
      +37
      Thanks for that Verdun. In ideal ground conditions, I can manage for short periods in breathing terms. Depends on how often I use my inhaler, which, itself causes side effects. I also suffer from something called Meniere's disease. Amongst other things, it causes vertigo. Jabbing head and shoulders usually does not help. Perhaps I should change to tiddlywinks? I now have a lady gardener a couple of days a month, and she is a great help. Like many ladies - I had several who worked to me when I was in employment myself - she is very conscientious. The garden was getting decidedly derelict in places. It may now be in recovery stage! Amongst battery power tools I have bought is an 'alligator' saw. I went through a line laurels rather quickly, and more easily than with a chain saw.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,852
      @Mervyn Wilmington - I've adjusted it to something a bit more suitable ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,630
        Ah now I understand your requirements a bit more how's about a combined weedkiller, like you were asking in your first post! But this one has glyphosate and diquat which will have visible effects on the weeds within a day:

Resolva 24H Weed Killer | Resolva your weed problem | Uks No1 Weedkiller

So only one application and it should do what you want - obviously it will kill anything else it touches but you have that problem anyway.

Also consider a spray guard which will cut down drift onto nearby plants:
        Solo Oval Drift Guard with Flat Spray Nozzle: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

There used to be much better guards I used in the past on a knapsack sprayer for applying roundup but I can't find any links or photos of it, it was horseshoe shaped. That was a good few years ago I used such a thing, maybe not available anymore.

• Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
        +37
        Thanks for that John. It is interesting that Diquat is available, albeit in this combined form. It doesn't seem available on its own. If my memory serves me correctly - and it often doesn't - diquat was one of the chemicals that was quick in effect, but might only 'burn-off' the foliage. That was fine for annual weeds, and didn't matter too much if a smidgeon went onto a perennial wanted plant. It seems we cannot buy such in the UK, although it might be available in the USA.

I do have a Hozelock oval spray guard. Of itself, it works rather well. The curse is getting a sprayer that stops spraying as soon as the trigger is released. I have yet to find one that performs properly. Some might do so for 'five minutes', then they invariably lapse into continuing for a few seconds after the trigger has been released. If any member can tell me of one that is instant, I'd be very grateful.

Twenty years or more ago, you could get them. The on/off switch demanded figure action both ways. The modern ones have a spring return - without enough spring!

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +45,630
          Mervyn I wonder if you are thinking of Paraquat, now that was a good weedkiller and had instant effect, but very toxic to humans too - no wonder it was banned. Diquat is a milder version but still effective against weeds.

I agree with you about the poor action of sprayers, I only have a cheap one and it does 'dribble' - I guess a professional model would be better but also lots of money. Maybe an agricultural merchants or old fashioned hardware store could recommend/demonstrate one - the type of place that sells Stihl chainsaws etc. Would a knapsack sprayer be any easier for you to use ?

• JWK

Ratings:
          +45,630
          Paraquat was the active ingredient in 'Gramoxone' as I recall.

• Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
          +37
          Thanks for that John. Whilst I remember Diquat, it probably was Paraquat that was avoiding my recollection!

A couple of years ago, I did make enquiries about a sprayer that was reliable. One line of enquiry was the very sort of agricultural merchants you mention: we have one such about 20 miles away, and very recently a small branch just up the road from us. They could not guarantee anything. The money spoken about was too much if there was no such guarantee.

I came across a make called 'Solo' yesterday - at a good price from Amazon, about 50% cheaper than the going price elsewhere. Very good feedback, but no mention of dribbles etc. Seemingly made in Germany: there's a chance it will be good! I've ordered one. I will report back.

Many thanks for the help that members have provided.

• Like Like x 1
          • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            What product are you using?
            I noticed you quoted saying you have tried different amounts of the herbicide but there should be a label attached that should tell you the mixture rate depending on what type of sprayer you are using.

• Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
            +37
            99% of the time I use Glysophate, bought in commercial 5 litre concentrated 'bottles'. I dilute in accordance with the advice given. I was looking for a 'quick' weed killer that I might add to the Glyphosate when I wanted - or use on its own - but don't want to pay the silly prices that apply to garden store products.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            What sprayer do you have and do you know the nozzle that’s fitted?
            Ive a feeling you are probably using too much as 4ltrs goes a long way.
            If I spray at a steady pace with a 1 mtr spray I use 150ml for around 500m2. That’s 10ltrs of water.
            If I’m spot weeding I use a low volume nozzle which then doubles the size of area of above.

• Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
              +37
              That is interesting Liz. What sprayer are you using? My present one is a Hozelock, but I've used others in the past. My main concern is the failure of the nozzle to stop discharging when the spray lever is released. They continue to spray or dribble for a few seconds.

I've used around 14 litres of dilute Glysophate this year. But remember I have acre of garden with a good deal in the shrubbery or 'woodland' form.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
              +1,259
              I use Cooper Pegler.
              As I’m in the industry and this applies to private individuals too I’ve had to have training to be able to use such products.
              Don’t take this the wrong way Mervyn but if you are using a professional product that comes under the pesticides regs you need to be trained.
              When you mentioned 4ltrs of the product for an acre I knew straight away there was an issue.

• Like Like x 1
              • Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
                +37
                Perhaps I might now provide an update.

My litre of Neudorff weedkiller (from Amazon) arrived last Thursday. Late that afternoon, I applied one 'mix' on four small selected areas of weeds, annual and perennial. It was at the recommended strength and on the basis of attempting full coverage of the foliage. I used a drift guard. That is probably essential, but makes it difficult to see exactly what is being covered.

Within two hours the effects were apparent. What was also apparent was where I had missed.

I monitored the results on ensuing days. Within two days most weeds were more than floppy. In four days there was much desiccation. That has continued, and I have used the rest of the 1 litre bottle elsewhere. The results from that are now apparent too.

To the extent I have mentioned, Neudorff clearly works. However, there are two important qualifications. First, I have no certainty of the effectiveness long term - regrowth especially for perennial weeds. I will say no more than I suspect there will not be total success. Second, I could not achieve anything like the area of coverage indicated by the manufacturers and maintain full application over the foliage itself.

Since the purpose over the last few days was to test the effectiveness of Neudorff, I have not tried it combined with glysophate, which was the subject of my original posting. I have put that on the back burner for now. It seems to me though, that Neuforff in very expensive for what it does. In smaller gardens or weed areas, it might be worthwhile, but in my acre I doubt it at the moment, keeping in mind that, because of my health problems, there is not a great deal I can do physically in terms of attacking weeds.

I am 'rethinking'. I am sure that glysophate will remain my weed killer of choice, quite simply because, having used it for many years, I know how well it works and how cheap it is when not bought in garden centre packs. The one downside is the delay in apparent effect. In the past, I have used acetic acid 10% with some success for quick effect. As a further experiment, I am am now going to try the application of glysophate followed the day after with acetic acid. I can only wait and see. I should receive the acetic acid within a few days, and I will report back when I can. I have also ordered some dye to make it clear what has been covered.

The only other matter I can mention is that I have now bought a Solo sprayer. The cut-off seems rather better than the Hozelock and the like. I have struggled to find a Solo brass variable nozzle: I now have one on order. It has cost more than the complete sprayer itself!

I have appreciated the advice and comments from other members, and would welcome more.