1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New cucumbers dying on plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Winnie, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    ... it's true .... I've read the threads on cucumbers to see if anything matches, but can't see anything which relates to this. New cucumbers forming about an inch to inch and half ... but gone yellow and dying. But on the same plant I've had a couple of 'bigguns' .... Also, on the cucumbers I've cut off (with scissors, is this right?) ... they don't seem to have seeds inside. Don't know the variety because they're french .... Really chuffed though with the ones that's been produced!

[​IMG]

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    To you that's "an inch to inch and half " to me its "12 inches"!!!

"New cucumbers forming about an inch to inch and half ... but gone yellow and dying"

Cue's will only support a few maturing fruit at a time. They automatically adjust this by letting any additional ones die off; pick the cues and then more fruit will "set"

"... cucumbers I've cut off (with scissors, is this right?)"

Yes, don't try to just snap them off the plant - they are heavy and likely to do damage as you pull them away. knife / scissors is best.

"they don't seem to have seeds inside"

Greenhouse ones are not pollinated (so presumably have no seeds). If they get pollinated it makes them bitter (so if you see any male flowers on the plant take them off)

However, Outdoor ("Ridge") cucumbers DO need to be pollinated, and thus they need the male flowers left on the plant.

" Don't know the variety"

Well given that it has fruited and not got any seeds I reckon its a Greenhouse variety :D

3. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    No need to worry then Kristen! Thanks once again for you comments! We're new to all this 'growing' things .... it's pretty exciting when it all works isn't it?!!

A bientot!
    Winnie