1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New garden - lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Temmy, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Temmy

Temmy Gardener

Video game designer
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello there folks,

I've just purchased my first house with garden. Wooo! The previous owner never really did anything with it and the lawn is in a bit of a state in parts.

The main problem areas look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little grass, but lots of other plants and weeds (and a brick BBQ I'll be dismantling).

I want to tidy up these patches and grow lovely grass. Where would I begin? I'm assuming I need to kill everything off first, but talk me through how you'd tackle this!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    It wont be a quick job if you decide to kill everything and re-seed / turf or you try to retain the existing lawn and kill the weeds with weedol for lawns or similar then overseed. Id say that you will be treating the lawn for a couple of years to get on top of the weeds. There are others on the forum who can offer good advice on fixing the problem.

I would remove the BBQ and then get to work on the lawn. Theres plenty of summer left to make a big difference this year.

3. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    No idea what the soil is like, if it’s poor or compacted you might as well start from fresh.
    If however the grass is still there and in good condition all be it hidden you could apply a weed killer but I might be inclined to feed the grass first then hit the weeds a week or two later.
    Throw in our good old weather which then means if we get a hot spell you will have to water.
    Your other alternative is to get some quotes in and see what they say as they can see the ground.

4. Temmy

Temmy Gardener

Video game designer
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'll be removing the BBQ first and foremost. Looking forward to taking that down!

I'd like to try and retain the grass which is already there and just kill off the weeds and other non-grass things that have appeared. Is weedol the stuff to be using for that?

5. andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    Weedol is one option. Make sure that you buy weedol for lawns. This will kill weeds but not the grass.

Take advice from Liz the pot and feed a week or so before applying weed killer