1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gardener - Overwhelmed! (Photos)

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by EmFlu, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,632
    Best piece of advise I have had is "stick your finger into the soil". Works like a treat with potted plants to get a good idea if the plant needs water or not, and gives a good idea of the situation of the garden soil. (The habit also means that during the growing season it's dark nail varnish for me when I have to impersonate a respectable business professional at work :heehee: )

The next one is "enjoy what you have got". My Grandmother always used to ask me not to cut the grass in her holiday plot before she could make it from her hectic retirement. She wanted to see the Buttercups :)

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,262
      Although there's no scientific proof to this - we always try to treat the plants gently and we chat nicely to them and thank them for looking good. It doesn't harm, we're quite happy doing it and nosey people don't bother us!
      [​IMG]

Actually there has been some research done into whether talking to plants affects them and there have been some positive results - but not done often enough to have a clear conclusion.

• Like Like x 2
      • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,444
        I remember that. There were theories that the co2 and moisture in your breath helps them, and theories that the vibration somehow stimulates cell growth. To me it's a classic case of the experts looking so hard for a scientific explanation that they overlook the obvious. The kind of person that talks to their plants is also the kind of person that pays close attention to them and looks after them well.