New greenhouse - some help please

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by CarolineL, Nov 5, 2018.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    I'm not sure what the aspect of the house is but I would be getting planning for a garden room on that patio. It would be bespoke with an inner room off of the patio doors and then all around the outside of it would be a two or three metre greenhouse.

2. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,304
    Hi @longk - hmmm it's a thought. The house is 2015, timber framed so not sure what the rules are re extensions on that type of build. But the patio doors are south facing... Oh dear - more options!

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Just a thought. Any future owners would be able to convert it back to a large conservatory easily but whilst you're there you can enjoy whatever is in bloom from the comfort of the house.

As an aside, I never move my Cyms back under glass until after the first frosts. Same with Clivia.

4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Well you really have a blank canvas there, its going to be difficult to decide where you want things.

Think you need somewhere with some shade for the outdoor Cyms during summer so you might have to build a suitable hanging structure, but again so many shapes and forms you can choose from.
    That area by the wooden gate looks like it could be cool and shady.

Perhaps you have some master plan in mind but if you need something quickly wonder if cheap small polytunnel type of structures will be easier to put up in the winter months while you get everything else sorted and look for some more permanent structures in the spring ?

Just hope you have plenty of little helpers to do all the heavy work for you..:smile:

5. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,304
    Thank you all for some excellent suggestions. I just hope the plants and I survive the moving process!

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Be interesting to hear how things go on and some pictures of your new gardening ventures.:smile:

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,304
      Oh believe me, you'll all hear about it!

• Petemz

Petemz Gardener

Ratings:
      +114
      Hi,
      My late father-in-law built his own greenhouses using bricks/breeze blocks and wood frames plus glass for the construction of his g/houses. He also built small walls inside sometimes, up to approx 18" inches high, then filled them with soil and compost mix, so he didn't have to bend down too much.
      This idea seemed to work really well, for growing various plants, veg, and the like.
      The greenhouse seemed to be always warm/hot. :spinning:

Just a thought, on the subject of reducing the need for bending down.
      This year I made a raised cold frame/ mini greenhouse type frame.

1001pallets.com-sun-worshipping-raised-pallet-cold-frame-for-winter-growing-01-600x450.jpg 1001pallets.com-sun-worshipping-raised-pallet-cold-frame-for-winter-growing-02-600x450.jpg 1001pallets.com-sun-worshipping-raised-pallet-cold-frame-for-winter-growing-03-600x800.jpg

I just wanted to share this with you, on the subject of working/doing things at waist height, in the garden.
      I hope this will not offend.

Kind regards,
      Pete.

p.s.
      If you want instructions, on how I constructed this cold frame, you can find them at,
      https://www.1001pallets.com/2018/06/sun-loving-raised-pallet-cold-frame-for-winter-growing/

• Like Like x 2
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,304
        Hi @Petemz - no offence taken! I am trying to think ahead - I have no trouble bending now, but I want to keep gardening into my dotage :snorky:
        I like raised beds as well because you can improve the soil easily. But your high level cold frame is even better!

• Like Like x 1
        • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
          Ratings:
          +246
          Interested in a lean to greenhouse as the north side of my current greenhouse has a giant hedge behind it a and obviously the sun never goes through that anyway.

Would I need planning permission to build an 8foot high 12foot long wall in my garden? the wall wont be on the boundary and will actually be lower than the hedge on the boundary. But I like the idea of the wall retaining heat, and also being able to hang stuff on it

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,184
          Hi,

You can easily check things out here, see the outbuilding section Planning Portal

As far as I can see if your wall is part of the greenhouse and not more than 2.5mtrs high then its ok.

Are you planning a lean to 12ft wide ? just that if part of its not covered by the rest of the greenhouse it might be classed as a wall/fence so the limit could be just 2mtrs ..?

However to build a wall that high, I believe, so please check as I am not qualified in that sense,
          you will need to build it with supporting piers at either end and in the middle ( 2.4mtr max between piers) assuming its a single brick / block thickness.
          You will also need quiet deep and strong footings to take that weight, a lot of work.

As to if it would act as heat sink, I doubt it would have little effect as most of the heat will be lost on the outside of the wall, unlike up against the wall of a building.

Think I would be looking at something wooden like decking planks with 4 x 100mm timber posts set in concrete, with say a concrete gravel board for the lower foot.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Why not have it ALL glass or glass substitute?