1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Lawn/Seed Query

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Neil K, May 21, 2020.

1. Neil K

Neil K Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

We had an area of stones/gravel that was dug out last year before we put down approx 4-5" of topsoil.

This has now been seeded and is growing well. It was seeded approx 5-6 weeks back.

When you look across the lawn it looks very lush. But when you look down from the top, there is lots of 'bald' patches between the grass that is coming through.

I imagine that in time, the root system will take place and throw up new shoots/blades. Someone has also suggested getting a little bit more seed and mixing it with compost or sand and scattering or tossing it all over.

Any thoughts on this?

Its an area of approx 100m sq, so won't be able to scatter seed all over as can't reach that far, but happy to do the areas I can, and then in a couple of months, when I can walk on it, then put more seed/sand/compost mix on the areas I couldn't reach.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks - Neil

2. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    After 5-6 weeks from sowing seed, that's totally normal. I suggest just leave it to its own devices, keep watering it, and start mowing it in a month or so. If you have any really bald patches by about July-August then consider reseeding those patches, but right now I'd say you just want to let it grow.

3. Neil K

Neil K Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Graham. Appreciate the advice. I've tried to attach a couple of pictures to show what it's currentl 15901751068456106824869639255211.jpg 15901751553796393228009231924810.jpg y

4. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    Looks good to me. Give it time, it'll be cool.

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Grass seed germination seems like a very common theme. I also have a nightmare getting lawn seed to germinate. I have tried many makes of seeds, some with magic coatings. Keep the patches watered, but the quoted 7 to 14 days germination does not happen. I also now wait until night time temps are around 10°c, put a layer of top soil down sow seed + a light top dress to keep the blackbirds off. What are we doing wrong?
      P.s. The grass grows very well in between the slabs on my drive :smile:

• Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
      +491
      The germination time is just how long it takes to get out of the seed. It doesn't even mean the shoot has reached the surface yet. :)

A grass plant is no different from anything else you'd sow from seed. You'll get an initial shoot with one or two fine leaves, then it grows and bulks out with time. Nothing will grow from seed to full size in 7 to 14 days (not even dandelions, although sometimes it feels like they do).

Reseeding is never a quick process. It's a lot cheaper, and generally you get a better lawn, but the downside is the waiting.

• Informative Informative x 1