1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New lawn soil advise

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by itgeek, Jun 3, 2020.

1. itgeek

itgeek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum. Just after some advise if possible. I have taken up our old lawn, and underneath was a huge amount of concrete and this is why our grass never grew properly. We have started to turn over the soil with a fork however the mud is still quite large, and want to know if a rotavator would help with this process. Would the rotavator work on the compact soil as we dont want to waste our time doing this by hand. I have attached an image.

Thanks you in advance

Attached Files:

2. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    Welcome,
    I had a similar thing with my previous place, but without the concrete.
    Went over it with the rotovator and levelled off after removing all large stones and such.
    Compacted the soil with the heels of my boots and the kids helped. We then laid turf of 60 feet by 30 feet. watered and enjoyed them growing up while tending to the cutting and edging.
    See if you can get some of the hard stuff out the way before you rotovate.

3. itgeek

itgeek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you @landimad do you think I would need to use a garden fork before using the rotovator first? As you can see I have started to break some up but its backbreaking!!

Thanks again for the advise

4. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    If the ground is very heavy as mine was, then a good pick axe would be better than a fork.
    This is just to get the heavy large stone out before the rotovator gets to work on the tilth of the soil. The machine will make the ground a good crumb as you go over it and allow the tines to break up clods prior to putting down any extra feed or aeration into the soil. I have used spent compost, sand and gravel on ground to break it up with the machine.
    Keep going and you will reap the rewards.