1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New lawn, some advice please

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by TerryCTR, Sep 9, 2018.

1. TerryCTR

TerryCTR Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Liz, we stay directly beside a nature walk and the leaves are endless - I have to be honest and say I’ve not kept on top of keeping the grass clear of them at all times as I was partly not wanting to walk on it so that’s probably part of my issue.

I have no idea on type or quality of turf used but certainly didn’t notice any yellowing since it went down.

I’m hoping it’s still repairable?

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    I would expect the gaps to fill in if it’s leaf damage. Does seem to be the leaf that may have caused the bald patches, a nice little blower will soon have them off the lawn.
    A feed will promote growth once we are in a nice settled weather pattern and help to fill in the gaps.
    It it was any other reason I would have expected to see a colour change on the plant it’s self.
    That’s what I would do rather than introducing seed which may not match.

3. TerryCTR

Ratings:
    +3
    I have my stihl battery blower so I’ll get onto clearing the leaves asap.

Is there any feed you recommend that I can pick up easily enough from the likes of B&Q

Thanks

Terry

4. Liz the pot

Ratings:
    +1,259
    What’s the grass like, any sign of weeds or is it ok?
    Scott’s do spreaders and it’s under the evergreen label. If you stick to both it makes it easy to use their products as they state the settings for using their spreaders.

EverGreen®

All the products should be easy to find locally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      45CE3B43-7AB3-4E7C-ADA3-BEC2BD6389B4.jpeg

If however it’s a tiny lawn and you want something a little different you could try this.
      Normally I use the good old trade stuff but last year I tried out some products that are aimed at domestic use.

Here’s what I used on my companions lawn last year.

Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food 2kg: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Plantworks Ltd Empathy Lawn Feed Liquid Seaweed Stimulant 1L: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Miracle-Gro Feeder filled with All Purpose Soluble Plant Food: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

I never went deep into calculations I just added the miracle grow to the sprayer bottle and used and I added after 2 weeks around 8 to 14 caps of the empathy feed.
      Used that basic miracle grow spray adapter as above.
      I used it as anyone would, just wanted to see the results and last year we had a right old heatwave but all looked great.
      Very simple to use, no scorching, just a slow walk up and down with the hose attached to sprayer.

• Like Like x 1
      • TerryCTR

Ratings:
        +3
        Thanks Liz,

There are no weeds that I can see and I would say it’s a a relatively small lawn. I can certainly get hold of Miracle grow up here in Glasgow from a local B&Q.

The attached lawn certainly looks nice enough for me and now that I’m perhaps binning the idea of going for a striped lawn I’m inclined to go for a stihl battery mower just to make the job easier overall as I’m finding the blower works well on battery power.

When you say sprayer bottle do you mean the Scotts evergreen one?

• Like Like x 1
        • Liz the pot

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Sprayer bottle was the miracle grow one I linked too. You can use any type that’s used for applying the fert, I just grab that one to try it out.
          I use as part of my mower collection the Viking battery mower which is the Stihl one but just different colour, it’s very good and easy to use and a blade and bolt is £12 plus loctite, no servicing needed.

• TerryCTR

Ratings:
          +3
          Apologies, I’m on my mobile and didn’t spot that was a link:wallbanging:

What power does your mower generate and how do you find it with longer grass say?

Thanks

Terry

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Terry it’s the same as the Stihl, Viking are part of Stihl.
          Viking have produced mowers for a long time so they know about air movement, blades and deck designs. It’s pretty good but here’s mine in the link.
          MA 443 - Cordless lawn mower for medium sized gardens

I use the Stihl battery AP300.

A lot depends on the design rather than power. If it’s power driven you have less power at the blade but the whole design comes into how well a mower performs. You can have sayva Honda against an Etesia of same size like the 18inch versions and both have the same engine but the Etesia has better pickup due to the blade, deck, chute and grass bag design.

It’s ok at your normal lawn maintenance but don’t expect it to handle a field type growth as that’s not what it is aimed at. The longer and wetter the grass the more impact on battery life. If you try to cut long grass very short for example it will cut the run time down but I get about 40mins on each of my batteries for the lawns I use it on.

• Like Like x 1
          • TerryCTR

Ratings:
            +3
            Believe it or not the Stihl Area manager is coming out with his old Viking on Thursday to give a demo of how it’s likely to perform.

I’ve only got just under 100m2 to tend to so I’ll likely stick with the Stihl range as I can use the battery/charger from my blower on the mower I’m likely to need.

Roll on Thursday :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Liz the pot

Ratings:
              +1,259
              That’s great news. Just to let you know the Viking mowers use the Stihl battery packs just in case you thought you prefer the green colour over the Stihl colour :)
              It’s worth just asking what’s different ie battery management for power distribution. As battery equipment evolves it has increased the tech behind the scenes.
              What I like is they use a plastic grass box just like my Etesia. Very easy to keep clean where cloth bags clog up and are a pain to clean. Once they start to clog the air flow is reduced so it starts to clog the deck quicker and less lift is produced. Plus as they are 4 wheel the chute is large where as a roller design means chutes tend to be smaller and that increases clogging in the deck.

• Like Like x 1
              • TerryCTR

Ratings:
                +3
                Good point on the battery management, he just said it would use the same 36v and have the same power.

I really like the box design myself and they seem sturdily built from the reviews I’ve read.

This is the one I think I’ll go for:

RMA 339 C machine only - STIHL RMA 339 C Rechargeable Lawn Mower

I may even be convinced to go for the strimmer and complete the set. The only thing is I’ll then have 3 pieces of equipment that my OCD forces me to try and protect from scratches etc :dunno:

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
                +1,259
                I believe they have onboard control that monitors the power required. In simple terms if it’s long grass it will draw max amp and on shorter grass it lowers the amps required so you get longer running times.
                I like their battery range, ok the blower hammers the battery but that’s where the limits show at the moment with technology.

• TerryCTR

Ratings:
                +3
                Well I got my battery mower and I’m more than happy with how it performs.

I’ve been floored with bug after bug for the last 6 weeks that my daughter managed to pick up when starting nursery so the lawn treatment stalled.

Am I good to go ahead with the above treatments and will they help this patch.

Thanks

Terry

Attached Files:

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
                +1,259
                Still cold down here where I am with frosts due for a few days.
                Don’t rush the feeds yet if your temps are low if it’s the ones I linked too. Once the temps pick up then it’s fine to go ahead.
                If you want to speed up the repair you can add some seed in that area but avoid it when feeding which is not an issue. Light rake, dress and seed.
                I would raise the cut a bit too for a bit.

• Like Like x 2