1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

new pond ambition

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Gizmo, Feb 22, 2021.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi Gizmo,

Just one last word from us on your pond planning -

Your original problem was all the green algae covering much of your wooodwork.

We would summize that it was down to two causes, the overspray from the fountain pump and the waterfall constantly wetting those surfaces, and we suspect compounded by the pond being in a very shaded area ?

With little sunlight to quickly dry the woodwork, there is little to prevent such algal growth.

We would suspect that using any timber surround in that same situation will again produce such algal growths, regardless of any Pond Safe timber treatment.

Something worth getting opinion from others on before doing such a lot of work only to be disappointed if you get similar algal problems again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +851
      Thanks for your reply
      Our idea was to have the pump fountain under the water so should not get any splash back.
      And was to have some thing like our sister in law pond but on a smaller scale and no koi like they have got

Attached Files:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,721
      I've got stone around my pond and a stone built waterfall.
      In places the stone work is covered in algae and moss it, in my opinion, makes the pond look more natural especially if you want a wildlife pond.

So I don't quite understand the problem with algae stains on any wood work.

• Like Like x 1
      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
        +851
        thanks for your replys i have tried to messure out with sleepers in mind ,
        the string is the sleepers and the hose is the pond
        i have tried to messure the hose eg pond and i have made it 5 foot x 3 foot , now i am thinking about shelfs and how many i could fit in before the bottom of the pond ,our sister in law said to stay with marginal plants at 6 to 8 inch but pond will be approx 10 inch deep with out the sleepers
        thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
        +851
        hi i have risen up veg box to 5 layer high and started the pond frame work there will be i expect 2 layer of sleepers , should i incorporate a entrance / exit with in the sleepers or will critters be able to get over 2 layers of sleepers thanks for your advice
        IMG_20210305_124502_resized_20210305_010716367.jpg IMG_20210305_124511_resized_20210305_010656786.jpg

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,721
          Im assuming the water level will be at some point up the side of the sleepers, so you can't really allow an entrance, can you ??:scratch:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
            +851
            thanks for your reply
            the water level will go inside the area shown by the yellow hose

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
            • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
              Ratings:
              +2,381
              I'd put a bit of a ramp in somewhere around the edge.. Frogs will appreciate it when their little legs are scrambling out to go and find the slugs :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,721
                I'm referring to the actual water level, how high you are going to fill it.
                I'm assuming the liner will run up to the top of the sleepers??
                If not then there is no point in using the sleepers as I thought they were there to increase the depth of water without having to dig deeper.

• Like Like x 1
                • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +851
                  Thanks for your reply I see what you mean. The reason why pond was in the middle with water was a family member said don't let the sleepers get wet.
                  I have adjusted pond sleepers we are planning on going up 3 High which give us a total depth of 22 inch. Also a water feature will go on the back of pond.
                  While I have started to dig out a shape I am thinking of shelfs. With the sleepers being above ground 12 inch would we need a shelf under ground level
                  Thanks

Attached Files:

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                  Ratings:
                  +7,623
                  Interesting thread. I'm fairly new to the topic of ponds myself, even though I've had one for some years now. My reason for initially wanting a pond was for the sound of moving water generated by a fountain - but now I have taken an interest in aquatic plants. Perhaps my limited experience will be of some interest/use to you.

One battle that you will have to fight is keeping the water clear. Every year my pond water went green due to water borne algae. Once the algae is established, it's impossible to get rid of - all you can do is control it - a bit like weeding.

I've tried - UV lights and filters - all sorts of chemicals - pond vacuuming - introducing aquatic plants which compete for the nutrient in the water. At the moment I'm trying barley straw. The straw decays in the water and releases hydrogen peroxide - which inhibits algae growth.

You will get algae where there is nutrient in the water - eg. from vegetation that has fallen into the pond and where there is plenty of sunlight. Algae is after all a plant - it needs food and light to grow. Limit either nutrients or light and algae will struggle.

I have timber sides on my pond as it has been built on a slope (yes it can be done) - I plant around the outside of the timber sides to hide them and soften the edges.

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                    +851
                    Thanks for your reply. We did have a wooden pond with cascade and yes algae it looked horrible and used uv light filter. Some people like algae as it looks more natural. We all so tried barley straw. Different plants. Etc
                    All though the new pond is on flat ground we are going to put plants around outside of sleepers.
                    But unsure about shelfs inside of sleepers for plants as well.
                    Did you manage to cut algae down or keep water clear. As we will be putting in a pump and water fall feature
                    Thanks

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                    +851
                    hi started to dig out pond now , with 4 layer of sleepers the pond depth will be 25 inch
                    i will have approx 3 shelfs

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
                    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
                      Ratings:
                      +2,381
                      You've been busy gizmo.. I guess if you get some good established plants on those shelves, the frogs and their friends will have a natural way of exit :smile:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                        +851
                        Thanks for your reply I was looking at bottom right side of pump for critter exit.. I am hoping to put plants around top shelf as well and with 4 layers it will give me depth. And I will put in a water. Blade feature on the back of pond