new pond ambition

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Gizmo, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +849
    Thanks for the reply. When we ordered the liner and underlay it was 6mx6m as I was unsure how much I would need.. It took me 5 hr to put in underlay and all though its windy here today I have got the underlay tight in postion as I can there is over hang all the way around..
    With the underlay I was hoping to pin it down outside of the pond eg on front of sleepers.
    The scissors where only there while I trimmed down the underlay
    The pond is 6x5 foot and 30 inches deep there are at least 3 shelfs. When I asked. About plants someone said just sort out pond first I asked due to the depth of the sleepers to ground level which is approximately 20 inch
    So have I done yet another boo boo

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Yes, you could pin the underlay onto the outside of the sleepers while you add the liner, but when adding the water remove the pins so the underlay and liner can settle together.

Your shelves are rather low, thats why I did not notice them under the liner.

A simple way to create some, before you fit the underlay, is to fix a small sleeper or similar onto the inside walls, so you have a shelf about 9" below your water level and say about 6" wide, that should allow most baskets to be submerged and for smaller pots you could just add a brick etc .

• Like Like x 2
    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +849
      Thanks for your reply. With the underlay all though it took me a long time the problem I had was to get the underlay inside the. Pond. I could. Get it across the pond but not inside.am I using the right underlay for this pond I looked on YouTube. And some was using a heat gun on inside of wooden pond

The shelves are low due to I could only dig down 10 inch due to compressed chalk. So I had to go sort of half and half some in ground and some raised pond.
      This. Is why I asked about plants. Before as plants have different levels but advice was just to sort out pond first.

With the pond and levels I have got some bits of 6 x 4.inch sleepers that are cut offs. But how would I get the underlay / liner around them with out tearing. As I had a job getting the underlay in as it is now.

When I checked. For. Underlay / liner I just a pond calculator and it gave a result of 14 foot x 13.5 foot. So I got. A 6 meter square. Underlay and liner. Around 20 foot square I have got about 2 foot. Down the outside of sleepers so if I put in sleeper shelfs. Would I not need. A bigger underlay / liner.

As you see by the picture the underlay is in. So advise is to put sleeper shelf in. So I got to take underlay out to put shelf inside.. Will I need a bigger underlay / liner

Thanks

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      As you say, not worth disturbing what you have done already, there will be other ways you can support the plants baskets.

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +849
      Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of pots on baskets but I don't think they do baskets 15 inch high.
      With what I have done the wind has got hold of it and half of it has gone inside pond.

If I was to put in more shelf how would I be able to put the underlay etc in

I got the 6x6 meter from swell online
      Have I got the right products for the pond. As I said on YouTube they seem to be using different products for a wooden pond

Thsnks

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

Thinking about it some more , my suggestion of adding a shelf is not a good idea at all, as you say the liner would need to go under it.

Afraid we have only made a couple of simple sunken ponds, nothing like what you are doing so cannot really suggest the best way to overcome your problems, hopefully some more pond experienced folk can advise.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,358
        If I want to raise plants up in my pond I put some polystyrene under some concrete blocks, I just build them up higher if I need to, lots of marginal plants are not too fussy about depth.

• Like Like x 2
        • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
          +849
          Thanks for the reply. At the moment the problem is the underlay. When I was looking for the liner I looked on amazon and the liner was from swell with free underlay so I bought 6mx6m as it said I think 25 or 40 Yr life span. When trying to put in underlay it is a awful job trying to get it in.
          So with this in mind is there a underlay that don't come in 1 piece so I could use glue to stick it to the inside of pond top and corners.
          I do look on line but unsure which one would be best to use for this project. Thanks

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,358
          I don't know any thing about underlay, I just used old carpet when I built mine.

Mine was a more rounded shape so was easier to get it to fit.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,184
          If you are having difficulty with the normally easy to fit underlay , not sure how you are going to manage the more tough liner on your large vertical surfaces ?
          Typical pond building is with more gradual horizontal slopes so much easier to lay the underlay and liner.
          This site shows how to fix it liners to vertical surfaces.
          Vertical Fixing Pond Liner - Fixing Pond Liner Vertically on a Wall

You said your family had a pond etc , cannot they come over and help with the liners now the restrictions are lifting and the most folk have had the jab ? It really does need an extra pair of hands.

Though never used one and no idea if they have any similar pitfalls, wonder if selling your unused Liner and getting a preformed pond might be a better though more expensive option ??
          Oase PE 500 - Preformed Pond - Water Gardening Direct

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +21,167
            Bit of a different approach but if you put the underlay and liner on top then gradually fill with a hosepipe then you can shape it all as you go. As the water fills it weights down the liner and underlay so by pulling at the edges you get rid of a lot of the creases (you won;t get rid of all so don't try) and the water pushes everything down and into place. It's not as accurate as other ways as you really need to centre it all before you start and the underlay and liner get dragged into the hole as it fills with you helping it along.
            You get wet and cold though!

• Like Like x 4
            • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +849
              thanks for your reply i had a look at this about vertical surfaces but pond is not on a wall ,
              family has a pond but are over 60 miles away and all though restructions are lifting they still say stay local
              with a preformed pond i did look into this but could not dig down past 10 inch this is why the pond is half and half ,
              i see what i can do with the gradually fill idea after i sort out the liner
              another thing is that when i was making the pond up i was advised to make sure the corners are fixed to the ground i did show a picture of what i done but nothing was advised just thinking if it was ok as i have used 18 inch corner brackets into the ground and fixed to the pond

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
              • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,478
                I have zero experience with ponds but when you mentioned difficulties manipulating your products, I wondered if the heat from the sun or a careful application of heat would help make your products more flexible?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +849
                  thanks for your replys just a update for you to look at
                  IMG_20210330_144626_resized_20210330_025126127.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                  • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                    +849
                    hi i started putting the wood on pond today but cant screw the wood by the fence how do you screw around corners as my drill wont fit down the side between pond and fence IMG_20210401_140229_resized_20210401_021557934.jpg

• Like Like x 1