1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Chickens

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Prastio, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,808
    But of course! Once its all up and I've proved to myself it worked out OK;)
    For economy while I get started, I'm thinking of using pallets (free!) for structure and clad it with something suitable; the whole front will be hinged so I have ready access when I need it and will provide an awning in the summer for the chicken's cocktail evenings...
    It will be raised off the ground too by a foot or so and .... well lots of other little things to think about!
    I'm only going to get 3 to start with so the space will be ample and I'm following all the advice from the link I posted earlier and from here and from the organisation that has set up a chicken farm locally! A chicken is for life, not just Sunday roasts...

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
  3. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Loofah

Like you, I've done a bit of research on chicken coops and agree with Mr Sussex that most commercial ones seem to be expensive, flimsy and sometimes poorly designed. I have some plans formulating in my head and it will be interesting to see how our designs compare. As a learner, I'm ready for mistakes so I intend to make my coop modular so that it can be easily unscrewed and modified if necessary.

4. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    This pic was taken while it was being cleaned so they were out having a bit of grass time(find thread, look...grass) and during winter(mainly due to the lack of fence) are in there 24/7 to the main door is usually closed bolted and padlocked(foxes are crafty:lollol:). When it's warmer and my fencing is sorted they will be let out into a 24ftx30ft section of the garden in a morning and locked up just before dark( as that's when they'll go to bed)

5. spadge

spadge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks sweetpeas, yeah my site allows chickens aswell as pigs and bee's you just have to apply, thanks for the advice should get me off to a good start i plan on building something very similar to yours with all recycled materials pallets etc, thanks for the links too ill take a good long look.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Take a look at material (and your time) costs. If it rockets up, then I would advise trying the hen house I have.

http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/poultry-housing/boughton902a-poultry-ark.htm

Providing you aren't getting huge pure breeds, regular hybrids or bantams will be fine in it. We have 5 bantams/small Large Fowl and its great as we can leave them secure in the small run underneath for up to 5 days. The rest of the time they have a large run to free range in.
    Unless you have money to burn, don't get an Eglu. They look good but I think the price is too high, run too small and I don't think they are as fox proof as they claim.

7. Loofah

Ratings:
    +21,808
    Good news! (for me) Bloke at work has some Brahma chickens he can give me:)

Just have to get building now.

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I keep reading these threads about chickens and am really tempted, I was brought up on a farm and vaguely remember that they were very noisy first thing in the morning.

We live in a town with close neighbours, just wondered how noisy these birds are and if people have any problems with neighbours complaining at all?

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Loofah, Brahmas are HUGE and need a lot of head space in their house. When I saw huge, I mean they can be taller than a small child. But they are gorgeous, fluffy and cuddly and very docile for their size. If I had the room I would love to keep a few of these gentle giants.

John, chickens can be noisy when they have laid an egg or they get spooked by something but it doesn't go on for long and unlike cockerel crowing neighbours have few grounds to complain about them.

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Thanks Aaron - yes it was the cockerels that used to crow really early! I seemed to think we had to have cockerels otherwise the hens eventually stopped laying? Don't you normally have a cockerel as well?

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    A common myth and totally untrue. Chickens will lay just as well without a cockerel bothering them constantly and will be a lot happier too.

12. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Ah thats good - :gnthb:

13. Loofah

Ratings:
    +21,808
    Yep, he did show me a few pics of them but they should be OK size wise

14. TortMad

TortMad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's great to see more people keen to take up poultry keeping :gnthb:

15. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    I'm pleased to say that our three hens have noticed that the nights are drawing out and are starting to lay better. We've had an egg a day for the last few days and two today! Either that or the vague threats about chicken stock and sage and onion stuffing. Not really, as vegetarians we just love having them around. Even if they're not vey productive they're lovely to look at and comical, especially when eating spaghetti, Just like Lady and the Tramp!