1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New to gardening - weedy lawn

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by wildsam, Sep 30, 2014.

1. wildsam

wildsam Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hello! Finally moved into our new house with a lovely sized garden to go with!

With a closer inspection to the lawn you can see theres large compact areas of weed.

I did some research and purchased Verdone Extra ( kills weeds not lawns ) as it's safe for pets once dried and haven't seen anything noticeably different in the last two months since use...

Now I'm unsure if it's the product, doesn't kill the weeds i have or should i aerate before use??

Stuggling to upload my images of the lawn onto forum and i currently don't meet the requirements to upload links at the moment so will upload at a later date.

Any advice greatly received

• Like Like x 2
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,402
      Hello wildsam and welcome to GC:) It's a bit difficult to say why the Verdone didn't work without knowing what weeds are invading your lawn. Some really persistent ones, like speedwell, clover, dandelion and creeping buttercup need more than one application to finish them off or it could be that there were dormant weed-seeds just waiting to take over from the grass. If the ground is damp and no rain forecast, it could be worth having another go. The other useful method of control, at least for weeds that send up flower stalks, is regular mowing with a clipping-collecting mower, to make sure that they don't have a chance to seed. Hope this helps, and look forward to seeing photos, when I'm sure you'll get loads of useful advice!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
        "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
        Ratings:
        +4,445
        Hi wildsam and :sign0016:, I used verdone x on my lawn in June, I had loads of dandelions, clover, buttercup etc. It killed 90% lets say, one or two were given round up gel to finish off, after a few weeks, I would not dose again this year as seeds will be lying dormant until the weather warms again in spring.
        I used one of those horizontal bar attachments to a watering can, and where really "weedy" gave more than was probably recommended :roflol:. Just keep cutting before the seed heads develop this year, to try and save work.

• maria

maria Gardener

Ratings:
        +864
      • Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
        Ratings:
        +1,984
        Welcome to the forum :)

• wildsam

Ratings:
        +7
        Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I definitely have a bad case of dandelions, large patches of clover and some others!

I've only treated one lawn ( garden split into 3 by path ) so I'll let the other lawn go slightly longer and try and treat if the weather is right!

I'll get some images up tomorrow so you can all see my lovely weeds!

On a plus side one of my roses has finally sprouted :)

• wildsam

Ratings:
        +7
        Horrrah! Sussed out the image uploading here's some of the patches of my lawn!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
        "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
        Ratings:
        +4,445
        Mine was not that bad, I noticed verdone x was reduced in my wilkos not on line, you could give a dose now, try to find a few dry days, to kill of the plants, but you will still need to dose late Spring, looks like a long term project.

• wildsam

Ratings:
        +7
        Thanks @pamsdish been stalking wilkos recently as i know around this time of year there's gardening bargains to be had :D . Sadly this week in the SW the weather forecasted to rain most days!!

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,631
        Wildsam if some of the dandelions are fairly large i fully recommend the friskers weed puller it gets the weed and the root out so easily. With big ones you are left with a hole but just fill in with compost and you will be alright. My grass grew straight back with no need for seed

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Hi @wildsam

Some of those weeds look like daisy leaves to me. Are you sure you want rid of them all?

Anyway, the easiest way I know to tackle the problem is to first get rid of the bulk of it manually, then just regularly mowing to give the grass chance to thicken up and take over.

To manually remove the larger weeds (the more mature dandelions for example, and bigger clumps of daisies), I simply take a large flat blade screwdriver, push it into the ground just next to where the main roots are, then gently prise it out. They come out so easy. You'll inevitably leave some in, but that's ok because they'll be massively weakened, and with regular mowing preventing them from getting a chance to get some new foliage out to get their strength back, the grass will just gain the upper hand.