1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New to the world of gardening

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Paul Raybould, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Paul Raybould

Paul Raybould Gardener

Ratings:
    +123
    Hi everyone I have been absent for quite a while but thought I would update this thread. Some progress has been made the grass has thickened up a bit and Saturday just gone I have applied evergreen 4 in 1 to hopefully make the grass a uniform colour and also remove some of the weeds. A neighbour was also getting rid of a load of shrubs so I now have a few Apple Blossoms and Hebe Autumn Glory in my borders

Attached Files:

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Ray, welcome back. It's good to hear you're making progress with the lawn, let us know how applying fertiliser works.

Nice plants and even better because they're free!!:heehee:

3. Paul Raybould

Paul Raybould Gardener

Ratings:
    +123
    Thanks I have managed to source the majority of my current plants for free or less than £10 This years focus is the grass the dark spots are from using Westland lawn thickener in the spring, which I put down using my hand so obviously missed a few bits. When I bought the evergreen 4 in 1 I also bought the Evergreen Handy spreader to hopefully achieve a much more even spread and hopefully a more even colour across the garden

4. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @Paul Raybould ,

Welcome back to GC , I can't believe I missed this thread.

What a nice blank canvas you have to work with, I'd give anything to have that opportunity. You've made a fantastic start... keep it up.

Have you thought about just broadcast sowing hardy annuals ( now is the perfect time ) in your borders. They will germnate now and give you some green in thr garden over Winter and then flower next Spring/early Summer. Then you can pull them out and replace with more permanent plants as you go along.
    Examples would be....... calendula, Cornflower, Poppies ( Look out for both Papaver and Escholtzia ). There are many more as well. Just look up " Hardy annuals to sow now ".

Good Luck and keep up the good work ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Paul Raybould

Paul Raybould Gardener

Ratings:
      +123
      Thank you the blank canvas is nice but would have been nice to have mature plants to plant around.

I hadn't thought about hardy annuals will have to look into that. I will be putting some Allium Bulbs in this year ready for next year.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Actually Paul, starting with a "blank canvas" is really, for me, the best way as you watch the garden get it's own character and shape over the years:love30::thumbsup:. Making an "instant" garden can be fraught with "dangers" and disappointment......but I can understand your impatience.:heehee: Actually, when you think about it , you've already got some great plants for free so you're off to a good start, but I think that over the years you will know more of which plants to get, (free or not) and turn more to plants that you want rather than on the merits of a plant being free.............it's your garden so plant how you want to and enjoy it as it matures.:love30:

• Like Like x 2
        • Paul Raybould

Paul Raybould Gardener

Ratings:
          +123

Thanks I agree that the garden will evolve over time and I actually stated to the wife that we would take the free plants to fill the borders in until we can decide, which plants we want in. I like the idea of a buddleia (grown from a cutting that I am planning on taking - just need to research when the best time is) to bring the butterflies into the garden as my girls love watching butterflies. I appreciate anyone giving me advice on how to proceed.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Well, I assume as you're wanting a Buddliea for the borders it will be the normal type and not the dwarf variety. I have 3, one light blue, one white, and the yellow globosa and they're a great plant for the Garden and attracing all sorts of insects. They're very hardy and should give you no real problems. One thing to be aware of that when placed in a site they like, and the space, they will romp away and can get to a height of 10' or more with a width of 6' to 8' upload_2019-9-2_14-28-28.png

The white and the yellow Buddlia
          upload_2019-9-2_14-37-6.png

So, a good plant to have in the garden with varies shades of blue from light to dark and then a white and also a yellow, hardy and will probably outlive a gardener:old::heehee:

Some gardeners will leave pruning until Spring and some gardners will do a half prun reducing the height to about half. When doing a full prune make sure that you leave about 5 or 6 buds on each stem and then let it grow away.:coffee: @Jiffy:love30: grows, I believe, a fair number of Buddlieas and is thinking of planting some more so he might want to give you some more advice.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
            Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Taking shape nicely Paul :)

Keep us posted as you develop your garden :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Paul Raybould

Paul Raybould Gardener

Ratings:
              +123
              Thank you for the info yes looking at those types rather than the dwarf ones and could also use one or two to disguise the shed, which is out of sight in my latest photo.

I appreciate all advice and recommendations

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                You're most welcome, Paul, let us all know how you get on and how the garden develops:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
                • Paul Raybould

Paul Raybould Gardener

Ratings:
                  +123
                  I put down evergreen 4 in 1 last Saturday and can’t believe the difference. A nice even colour and it has started filling in some of the gaps. Will put some more down in April and continue with feeding after that so happy considering that last year it was just mud

Before treatment
                  6D37E2DB-9A7C-491F-8FF1-E97925AF265D.jpeg

After 7 days
                  D6B77BEB-AF53-412D-BFF4-DF0BEF7DCFD1.jpeg

• Paul Raybould

Paul Raybould Gardener

Ratings:
                  +123
                  I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Well after spending the last few months collecting paving slabs I finally had enough to replace the bark seating area so this weekend I made a start on it. The soil that I removed when leveling the seating area is being used to fill in the path after removing the bark. The path will then have sunken 2x2 slabs as stepping stones to the seating area and I have some grass seed to put down between the slabs. The pink box just has the pebbles out of the belfast sink water feature to be put back in when I get round to it.
                  Slowly getting it sorted now.
                  IMG_3311.jpg

• Like Like x 6
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    Hi Paul, well, it looks like all your hard work and effort is really paying off......looks really good to me:love30::thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Paul Raybould

Paul Raybould Gardener

Ratings:
                      +123
                      Thank you.

Forum member @pete kindly sent me some caesalpinia gilliesii seeds last year and they are just starting to germinate now so will hopefully have a couple to put in the raised border behind the patio as that area gets the most of the sun.

• Like Like x 3