1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New turf laid - now what?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by ric1982, Apr 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ric1982

ric1982 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    We have laid new turf about 10 days ago. I am planning to use the push mover (cylinder) to mow new turf. When do you think best time to do this?

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Hi ric

normally with new turf you would cut on the high side as you are trying to promote the root growth.
    Normally cylinder mowers tend to cut low so you will need to raise the cut if possible as you don’t want to shave a new lawn. You will need to mow regularly too as cylinders that are pushed tend to struggle with any type of length.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I reckon:

Turf needs to be rooted through (before you walk on it, or mow it). If you can, gently, "lift" a bit then it ain't done yet ...

Needs watering "a lot" ... every day probably

Whenever I have bought turf it has had so much Nitrogen in it that it was a nightmare to get back under control, once I had waited long enough to get it rooted through. The current cold weather is probably in your favour, I've only done turf "mid summer"

Make sure the mower blades are recently sharpened - so it doesn't "tear" the grass

maybe borrow a rotary mower for the first few cuts, so you can jack the blade right up (also: easier to sharpen, with a file, than a cylinder ...

For all those reasons, and my personal view that Turf is an environmental nightmare stripping an inch or two off the Fens every couple of years, and then transporting it half way across the country, that I now only do seed, preferably in the Autumn so that the weed germination is minimised.

• Like Like x 1
      • Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Depends on the quality of the turf and how well the prep was done. If it’s a good job you can say 2 to 3 weeks before the first cut if needed but sometimes you have to work with the tools you have. I’ve seen turf laid and played on straight off the bat and I’ve seen turf laid on a bed so soft you sink.
        The same with turf, you have the thin rubbish held by wire and you have nice thick turf and the in between. Every depends on the quality. It’s rare now to see landscapers use a double joint on the edges now too.
        Trouble with domestic lawns it’s all worked on price and what a customer will pay. Normally most companies make a job look nice but it’s 2 years later you see if the prep was good and it’s held as flat as a pancake.
        I did a lawn care job where I priced a one off turf job but they went for the cheapest and I kid you not they just dumped the soil and laid turf. Some points the turf was 2 inches out on the joints. I cut it once and walked away.

• Like Like x 2
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I find it remarkable that football clubs can re-turf in the middle of season and play on it straightaway. I remember the mud-bath goal mouths of yesteryear ...

I have no idea how they do that ...

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            I remember watching QPR and the subs were smoking before coming on

a lot of sports like cricket or golf the sub soil is prepared differently in places where it’s critical so they can get away with patching.

• Like Like x 1